Diagnosis
03/2015
Country
US
State
VA
City
Alexandria
Hello, this is my first post, but I've used this forum *so* much over the last 6 years. I am the primary caregiver for my father (dx 2015). I myself received the Moderna vaccines (caregivers were eligible in my city as 1a). Dose 1 was fine but dose 2 had me feeling pretty bad for a few days. My father has received dose 1 (also Moderna) and is due for dose 2 this week. He was fine after the first does, only a little arm soreness. It looks like 4 weeks after the first dose vaccine efficacy is actually pretty great (80%), additionally it looks like delaying the time between dose 1 and 2 may actually increase efficacy. I recently read about a PALS who passed away not long after dose 2 and I got spooked. All of us who care for him are double vaccinated and he is 4 weeks from dose 1-- I am wondering if I should just delay dose 2 until I feel more comfortable. If any of you PALS could share your dose 2 experiences with me (good or bad) I think it would really help me make a better informed decision! His overall risk of COVID is low and his ALS is very advanced ("end stage").

TIA!

I would do what he and you are comfortable with especially in the advanced stages. I've yet to receive my first dose. I'm an epi-pen user and have had many reactions. I actually thought about waiting for the Johnson & Johnson or just getting the first shot myself.

I don't like restaurants, don't travel and both my brother and sister-in-law have had two shots. My greatest concern is giving it to my housemate (who is only 64) or to people I will later play cards with again.

Like everything else, your father and his caregivers have to be comfortable with the decision.

Thanks for your reply! For what it’s worth, I am an epipen user with a history of anaphylaxis as well. I was nervous and thought I might back out last minute if I felt unsafe, but I got my vaccine at a large vaccination center (a high school) and there were a hundred nurses/EMTS doing the vaccines, special seating for those who wanted to be monitored after the vaccine and even an ambulance on site. They had epipens and checked on me every few minutes as I waited for 30 minutes to see if I would react. I felt very safe from an anaphylaxis standpoint. I hope that info is reassuring on that point at least!

Kim and Sarah, I know someone with a history of anaphylaxis. If she has to
use her epi-pen she has to go to the ER following.

She says this advice is given to all epi-pen users with anaphylaxis.
Shortly after if second reaction happens it can be worse than the first.

Do you have to follow up with with an ER visit after you have had to inject
those times?

The only side effect I had after my shot was heavy fatigue for two days.
I go for my second Moderna next week.

I don’t know what is the best choice for your dad. He, his medical team and family know his needs and condition best

a few thoughts.
I don’t know the story you refer to about a PALS who died after vaccine. PALS die all the time unfortunately and sudden and unexpected is not that unusual. My sister died unexpectedly and I can think of well over a dozen PALS I have known here and elsewhere.

we don’t know yet that the vaccines protect against asymptomatic infection. I hope they do but if they don’t he might not be in the bubble you think he is

the reaction you had is more common in younger people as it is dependent on a robust immune system. You don’t say how old your dad is so he may be young enough that he would still react strongly.

There are variants around now that may need a stronger immune response than the virus form moderna was tested against.

I felt lousy (light-headed, achy, sore arm) after my 2d dose of Moderna on Feb 23rd, but felt "normal" within 36 hrs. I'm a fairly slow progresser so may not be the ideal model for your dad, tho diagnosed at the same time. Best wishes.

Ed

Al, I also have a cardiac arrhythmia so, if I had to use the pen, I would have to go to the ED. I also have a very strong immune system. It's why I don't get colds or the flu. I've consulted with my nephew, an ED doctor. He and his sister, both doctors, had bad reactions to their second dose. It's a lot better than getting Covid!

Ed, glad you're back to normal.

I've had both shots of the Moderna vaccine. Had very little reaction to the first one--arm slightly sore for a day and a little tired perhaps. The day after the second one, I felt lousy--not sick--just excessively tired and didn't feel like doing anything. Only lasted one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back