Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
I took my PALS down in the rain this afternoon to get his first dose of the vaccine. He has become more and more reluctant to go out in the van, especially today when it's cold (for us anyway) and wet. But I told him it was to protect him and feel so much better that he has received his first dose. They had to put it in his right arm as his left no longer has adequate muscle. So now both he and our hired caregiver have been able to get the first dose of the vaccine, hooray!

I've asked just about everyone I can think of why unpaid family caregivers should not be eligible for the vaccine. Most of the time we are the ones who must go out into the world to take proper care of our care recipients. I must go to the grocery and drug stores to pick up supplies that he needs, and head over to the pharmacy for his medications. While everyone (his neurologist, my primary care physician, his palliative care physician, the firefighter who gave him his shot, the scheduler) agrees that caregivers should be eligible for the vaccine as well, I'm hitting a brick wall when I try to make an appointment. If I get sick, who takes care of my PALS? My paid caregiver was eligible in her position. Once again confirms to me that our society does not value family caregivers who often work long hours without pay or even thanks.

Thanks for letting me rant.

V

I wholeheartedly agree that CALS and other in-home caregivers should be top priority, V, for all the reasons that you outline, and because none of the vaccines are 100% efficacious, so if you remain unvaccinated, your PALS is at greater risk. To me, all the regulations should read "X category of person and any adults who provide personal care for them on a regular basis at home." --Laurie

What you say makes absolutely perfect sense. I think that CALS + PALS should be vaccinated as a priority.
You lay all the reasons behind out so very clearly. What a world we find ourselves in.

Not to hijack, V, just a random reminder that grocery, supplies and meds are all available by delivery or mail, though I have gathered there are fewer choices in some places. They are increasing, so it's worth checking periodically.

Though I'm no longer a CALS, I do not have a car to do curbside/drive-through pickup, so I've returned to the totally virtual shopping model, now layering on contactless/silent delivery, since March.

If you are worried about weather or porch pirates as regards bags or packages, every service I use texts me when stuff is delivered. You can also have the Post Office pick up parcels too heavy to drop off, for free.

If you aren't sure how to access something without walking in somewhere, or what you can substitute, please ask -- we have a great deal of experience here! -Laurie

I totally agree, V!

Sadly, here in MA, even my husband, the pals, probably won't be eligible to receive a shot for a month or more. I am immunocompromised as well, but it will be a longer wait, I'm afraid. We're both under 65.

We have been getting everything delivered, or we do curbside pick-up. It is the safest, but makes for more isolation.

Thanks Laurie, I was using Instacart but it was expensive and somehow I didn't always get what I needed. My PALS says I am too picky but I asked for thyme and got parsley, and wanted radicchio and got radishes. When the CDC said to wear masks I went shopping again. I just try to go infrequently.

What state are you located in? Oregon considers unpaid family caregivers to be in Phase 1A (currently eligible for vaccine). Iowa considers them to be in Phase 1B. (eligible later February.)

V, I use a combination of Instacart, Amazon Fresh, and Whole Foods via Amazon, always specifying substitutions or if there isn't a good one, specifying "do not substitute." The latter two do have a better record on showing what they actually have in stock, and don't have a service fee like IC does, if you're a Prime member. I use IC for the cheapest of our local groceries, for staples.

But I use a local coop delivery for produce, because yeah, produce does seem more difficult for third-party shoppers.

Athiel, everyone has a location listed under their username on the left. V is in Cali.

Thank you for that info! :) Sending hugs and hopes of getting vaccinated sooner than later. It’s so nerve wracking.

I use Instacart, Amazon Prime, Misfits Market, Farmbox Direct, Vitacost, Vital Choice (Alaskan seafood) and Organic Prairie (chicken/turkey/beef). I've only had a couple of Instacart orders that weren't correct and it was always produce. That's when I found Misfits Market and Farmbox Direct.

Regarding the vaccine. This is what happens when a national program was not in place when the vaccines were rolled out. Even within our State, some areas are being served quickly and others cannot get appointments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back