Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
OR
City
Scio
My PC is an antivaxxer and recommends against getting any additional covid vaccinations. I've had the first three and plan to get a 4th this fall. Has anyone had adverse reactions to the covid vaccine, other than the usual slightly sore arm? My son and I both had covid a year ago; he is not vaccinated. It was much harder on him than it was on me. The doctor who saw me said there was a 99% chance I would be hospitalized. It took a while to recover, but I avoided the hospital. My son was sicker longer, and then suffered a major heart attack on Sept. 1st and had emergency angioplasty to place 3 stents. The cardiologist told him covid had accelerated his heart problems. (He wasn't aware he had any health problems.) I feel that the vaccinations kept me out of the hospital.

My PC is also suggesting I try low dose naltrexone. I've found several posts mentioning trying this drug with no major benefit noted but nothing recent. I would appreciate hearing if anyone is currently taking naltrexone and, if so, what are the benefits? Thank you!

I'd be wary of a medically trained person who is anti-vaccine. This seems contradictory. I am glad you plan to get a 4th vaccination. There is much in the way of legitimate research indicating the Covid virus itself is a huge burden on the body- both neurological and cardiological and not much about the vaccine being an issue. I had a tough time with the 4 vaccinations (1 ea Astrazeneca, Moderna, Novavax, combo flu/bivalent covid) I've had, but firmly believe that the one time I had covid, I would have been much sicker if I had been unvaccinated.

I am sorry your son has had a tough time with his heart. I wish him a thorough recovery and good health moving forward.

With regards to LDN-
I have been taking LDN for over 6 years, along with N-Acetylcysteine. I have very slow progression. I do not know if LDN is contributing to this slowness, but it is not harming either. I do know that I am unwilling to stop taking it, just in case. What is your PC recommending you take it for?

*edited to add:
The Novovax and the bivalent Pfizer vaccines did not cause the same level of bad reaction the Moderna and AstraZeneca caused.

Last edited:
She thinks it might slow my PLS. Thank you for the prompt reply. I've had some progression this past year. Have no idea if it's from covid or stress or old age. We have had two deaths in the family, and, in addition to the heart attack, my son has been hospitalized with seizures and a blockage in the esophagus which required surgery and caused a cancer scare.

Likewise, I would have reservations about working with a clinician who is not following the science. The evidence that Covid vaccinations reduce the severity of disease is overwhelming, so I would wonder what else they are not current on. See this Covid fact sheet and perhaps forward it to your PCP.

I hope your son has a much more healthy year from here on in.

Best,
Laurie

Here is my take on Covid vaccines. Each type of vaccine has undergone years and years of studies, trials, and they are scientifically proven to help lessen the effects of Covid or, if careful, avoid it all together.
Last month I lost my brother to Covid. He had his original two shots and a booster in 2021. Then he went into a VA nursing home because of dementia that had been progressing since 2018. They did not give him the bi-variant booster. They had a Covid outbreak in the nursing home, he had a seizure and died. Four other veterans on his wing also died. None of them had the bi-variant booster. Prior to the outbreak, my brother had seen his PCP and his blood work was perfect.

I have a group of cousins who are anti-vaxxers. They live in upstate NY. In 2021, well after the vaccine came out, one was pregnant. She contracted Covid at seven months. Her child was born with multiple issues, including heart, liver, and lungs. His size was big enough to survive but he did not. He lasted five months in a NICU. The parents were broken. The doctors wouldn't let them visit until the husband was vaccinated.

Another 17-year old cousin got Covid in 2020 before the vaccine was available. He got it at high school before schools went online. He had a full scholarship for cross country. He has long Covid and now has to pay for his education since he can no longer run.

I'd NEVER go to a doctor who was against vaccinations openly. My pain management neurologist told me his wife was against vaccines. I think he finally convinced her when there were two people on his staff that contracted Covid (before the vaccine came out.)

There is always a small risk when you get vaccinated for anything. This year was the first year I got the flu shot. I've never had the flu but I never want it. I still wear a mask in doctors offices and I avoid crowded indoor events. I live in Florida and there are many anti-vaccine people here.

I hope your son recovers.

Thank you all for your comments. Kim, I'm so sorry to hear of the terrible toll covid has taken on your family.

My PC isn't against all vaccines--only covid. She feels there wasn't enough testing done to determine long-range side effects.

I'm happy to report that my son seems to be doing well.

I am exposed through work to hundreds of physicians, and there are a providers strongly pro- and anti- vax, as well as those who take a nuanced approach in consideration of patient age, overall health, and other conditions. If I differed with my provider only on this one thing, and was otherwise comfortable with the relationship and care, this would not be the single thing to drive me to find a new provider. I could always be vaccinated elsewhere.

It has been my experience that physicians can be quirky in their beliefs, like the rest of us they are influenced by anecdotal evidence gained through practice as well as the opinions and experiences shared by their peers. Physicians are educated to be inductive in caring for patients, and perhaps that bias leads to some conclusions not informed by formal research. To me, the most important part of the relationship with a doctor is that we be able to openly discuss what leads him or her to make a certain recommendation or clinical course.

Strongly agree with and support Shiftkicker, Laurie, and Kim. I do hope you read the COVID fact sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back