Diagnosis
06/2016
Country
US
State
NV
City
Reno
My daughter and I went to WalMart today, and I went to the car section where they sell mitts to clean cars. I purchased two of them, and with a little struggle, they fit perfectly over each of my foot plates on my PWC. What a difference! And for under $3 each. They are soft and very comfortable.

Just thought I would share my discovery. I now live in my PWC due to panic attacks in the hospital bed. Any comfort helps.

Hugs,
Deb

Great minds think alike. We wrapped wooly stuff around the metal plates and molded it so that the toes were protected from hitting a wall. krissy wore oversized cushy winter boots on her feet. To complete the fashionable look, she kept a blanket over her lap down to her feet.

Deb, you really don't want to live in your wheelchair -- it's not good for your skin, sleep and circulation. Isn't there a way to make the bed more functional for you?

Best,
Laurie

Great idea! I wear shoes all the time and that is fine indoors. I switch to winter shoes for thicker soles in the fall but my feet still get freezing cold when I go out. Car wash mitts are now on my shopping list!
Also, I have been wearing a hooded poncho for warmth but this year I got a wide wool muffler and find that it keeps me warmer than the hood! With it snug from neck to the top of my ears it is wind-proof -- and doesn't mess up my hair!

I don't know Laurie. This just happened this past week. My panic attacks are awful in the bed because I cannot move my legs, and my arms are almost useless too. I've always been very strong, and I am not an overly emotional person. This is new territory for me. With my PWC, I can move my legs up and down, and, well, I can move.

My husband had hip replacement surgery two weeks ago, and my daughter stayed overnight to help for two weeks. Today my son will help for a week. I have a hired caregiver during the daytime. The Hoyer sling is on my PWC and works great now that I have the right size (I had an extra large, and now have a medium size). It works great with a bedpan under me. I don't relish the thought of my son helping me, but he is up for the challenge, and that makes me love and respect him (and my daughter) so much.

Hopefully, my husband can help me soon, but it cannot be all about me. He needs his time to heal. After I know he has his strength back, I will try the hospital bed again. Maybe once I get the medical cannabis approved, I will sleep better and not wake up to sheer terror. It is so awful that I look at that bed like I hate. I trust your judgement, Laurie, so I will try.

Hugs, Deb

Deb don't worry, you do what you need to do and what is working!
Of course your husband needs time to heal and you have so much going on just now.

While being in you chair all the time is not optimal, it will be fine while all these things get worked out. Make sure you reposition often and that they are checking your bum for pressure.

Those foot covers are a terrific find at such a cheap price, I love the idea of them being car mitts :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back