Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IN
City
Indianapolis
hello all! Thank you for taking the time to reply to my message. I did read the read before you post but I do have a few questions.

I’m 45 yr old female. I was dx in 2013 with dermatomyositis (myopathy) but on Dec 30, 2022 I started having leg pain, feet pain, calf pain followed by muscle twitching in my legs, now the twitching has moved all over my body. (Arms, feet, buttocks, pelvic area, right eye at times) Some of the twitches I can’t see but I can feel them. However today I did see the twitch on my right hand- which made me really freak out seeing it.

I had an Emg on 1/25 of my left leg, leg foot, 1/26 had an Emg on my right arm, right hand and upper back area done by a neuromuscular Dr. My Emg showed no abnormalities. Only Carpel tunnel in my right hand- which I already knew. The last few days I’ve been having trouble swallowing, not getting food stuck but more of like a lump in my throat, like when you get mucus stuck in your throat and need to clear your throat. I’m concerned if the Emg was done to early since I’ve only had twitching since 12/30. My neuro did a quick clinical exam and said I looked fine and would see me in 2 months.

I guess I’m more concerned of the muscle twitching that I’ve developed all of a sudden. I’ve never had it in 45 years, only when I’ve worked out hard in my younger years. I’m under stress as my husband is on dialysis and I do suffer from anxiety. I had COVID in august 2022, which I think is part of my all over body myalgia.

I guess what I’m asking could Emg be done to early? And would Bulbar ALS be what I’m describing with my throat? I don’t recall Emg being done on any bulbar region. I do remember the needle was placed at top of my neck in the back. Sorry I don’t have my Emg in front of me to say the exact locations.

My muscles feel Shaky when I try and do a light stretch or workout. I’m on prednisone 15mg right now my rheumatologist put me on. But every twitch makes me fear ALS. I had twitching before the prednisone. I fear of ALS because I googled muscle twitching when I started with the twitching and of course ALS is the one thing that came across google. My dermatomyositis isn’t even showing up on labs as being in a flare right now. I guess that’s why I’m so concerned. Thank you so much for allowing me to post and taming the time to read my post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Snickers

You might need to read the post again as your concerns really are answering quite clearly there.

Please also, as the sticky asks, format you posts. I think I managed to read your post but it's really hard with a lump of text like that.

Twitching means nothings.
EMG will detect ALS changes even in areas of your body you haven't had weakness in yet, so it was not done too early.
The doctors know which parts of your body to test.

People who get anxious often begin to notice every little thing and think every new thing confirms they are dying.

Please go see your doctor again for help.

Thank you for the Reply. I’m sorry if I upset you with my long post. I do appreciate your reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back