Not open for further replies.

InterstellarNap

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hi everyone - didn't think I would post but I am struggling.

Thank you all for you time and all that you do.

I am 31 - Male. I have read the official post prior and is the only thing "kind of" keeping me sane.

I am very active (still play baseball, workout 5 days a week) - former college athlete.

Everything seemed to start back in September 2022. I had Covid end of May ... fatigue seemed to last for over a month then disappear.

In September I had a few moderate cavities filled and also a tetanus booster shot (Was super anxious of tetanus after a mild prick from a rusty bumper) Around this time I started getting a super sore jaw and noticed I was clenching at night..

Anyhow - it all started with morning headaches, dry throat & brain fog. I would wake up super tired and then get a late onset tension headache with brain fog after breakfast that would usually dissipate into the early afternoon and then come back late afternoon - dissipate after a workout and come back as a pressure headache before bed. This was on and off for 2 months.. sometimes have a good week in between. To be clear - it was always pressure headaches and the brain fog being the worst part throughout these 2 months. The brain fog was like a smoke screen jumpy panic.

Along with those symptoms - I would have tingling hands, twitching in face, palpitations and sore neck. All these would come and go and never consistent like the headaches/brain fog. Muscle twitching would be the closest continuous symptom (left eyelid, temple, left thumb). Throughout this time I was super anxious and some days depressed.

Now we enter December. Headaches/brain fog gone. Then sensations started. At first, when I laid in bed - my back suddenly was on fire. Then the tingling sensation in my tongue and left side of face. Then muscle spasms in my stomach and calf. Warm sensations continued in my back and my feet.

as the month went on - the warm sensations continued often out of nowhere and very hot (usually in back) sometimes stomach - we'll get to that. Muscle spasms only really consistent in the stomach. Tingling in tongue stayed for 3 weeks then morphed into tingling numbness in the left side of my face. (still have it now) - comes and goes.

Throughout the month I would start to feel like I was off balance (swaying) when just standing there. I would start waking up an hour after I fell asleep at night in sweat, tingling, nausea, panic. Stomach pain and hot all around my torso.

Started sleeping better towards end of month again.

Now we begin my current journey to what I believe could be ALS.

At the end of December - post hiking trip to Scotland - I notice my lower left leg (below knee) felt super weak and was cramping and aching while walking around.
Balance got a little bit better but this lower left leg would have spouts with perceived weakness, unsteady and numb.

I still have my facial numbness on the left side of my face.

When I got back I was referred to a neurologist who order a brain, c-spine, & l-spine mri. & bloodwork.

Brain = normal
Bloodwork = normal except for a bit high cholesterol
l-spine = mild degenerative disc
c-spine = mild disc herniation, foraminal stenosis, mild bulging disc, focal hydromyelia

After following up he said that could be the cause for neck pain , possible tingling in hands, headaches etc.

No answers for facial numbness, leg strength seemed fine. 12/5

12/7 play in tournament - everything working great ( still have a bit of facial numbness I notice throughout day)

Felt sorer than normal after and had some sort of sickness the week after 12/9. (Stuffy, achy, chest pressure, trouble swallowing)

but recovered (thought so) and played again 12/14.

Now the monday after 12/16 I start to have what feels like a band around my chest. It moves into my leg again (same one that feels weak/unsteady/numb) then it morphed back into my stomach and chest (tight/warm/trouble swallowing).. to my face and jaw - sore/numb tingling.

All week - weak feeling in lower left leg - into stomach pain - into trouble swallowing - into numb face/throat .

Finally on Thursday I went to the ER because I felt off balance and my chest was gonna explode (not normal chest pain) just pressure all throughout and still trouble swallowing. (seems fine when I eat and drink). Ran ekg/blood work. .all was fine.

Me and wife leave for Cancun that weekend. We get there and I have the lower left leg feeling weak and unsteady. I still have trouble swallowing. That night at dinner it felt as if I had rubber bands wrapped around my face. It was so tight and numb I couldn't swallow. Sharp left arm pain and my stomach was on fire - very nauseous.

We flew home the next day and went back to ER. My symptoms felt the same. My lower leg still feels weak - but my chest/face would be fine. Then an hour later it moves up to my throat and face - trouble swallowing -tightness. It is gone from my leg now. This goes on for a week. That night we got back after ER my chest felt so heavy in short bursts giving me shortness of breath.

I have a follow up with my neuro tomorrow to hopefully get an EMG done.

Over the last 3 days I CURRENTLY have had perceived left leg weakness, muscle twitches in calves, muscle spasm in stomach, cold tingling knees. Trouble swallowing ( no problem eating though)

I am dreading an ALS confirmation. I can't stop thinking about it.

Thank you for your time all.

I also might add that I have spurts throughout day of shortness of breath (quick feeling of gasping)

So sorry you have been through so much for months.

Read this really carefully through to help prepare for your neuro consult.

I would suggest you just present your symptoms, maybe print out your post as it describes everything really clearly.
Don't ask if you have ALS as nothing you describe would suggest you do.
By not bringing it up, you allow the neurologist to do a clinical exam and decide what direction to take testing.
Remember the EMG tests for a huge range of disease and injuries so if they order one, that does not mean ALS is in the picture.

Let us know once you have some results from this visit for sure.

Thank you for your response and kind words. I just want answers. Hopefully not life-threatening ones.

Your symptoms don't suggest anything life-threatening. Let the neuro now do their job.

I don't see anything neurological in this, so expect a reassuring EMG. I would return to your internist and ask about evaluation for potential long COVID complications, e.g., clotting factors, imaging to rule out emboli.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back