00/0000
Country
CZ
State
CZ
City
Prague
Hi everyone,
I would like to discuss with you my symptoms. Some time ago this forum calmed me down by just reading it, but anyway I would like to discuss my symptoms with you.

I am male 41 years and it is important to mention I suffer with anxiety (mostly under control but health anxiety is sometimes issue). I used to take antidepresants (zoloft) years ago but not taking it now. My neurologist saw me last February (11 months ago) and told me I was ok but he just knocked on my elbow and knee and then did some basic physical tests. He mentioned everything is related to anxiety

Here is history of my symptoms:
Years ago (like 8-10) neurologist told me I have BFS when my muscles were twitching. Then those symptoms dissapeared.
It appeared again in that period of time when we were struggling with Covid19 (14 months ago). It sems to me it was related to vaccines. After that I had a lot of twitching over all body but also weird sensation of internal vibrations at night. The vibration went away but twitching remained until now.

Characteristic of twitching and more: It is usually twitching in legs, arms and sometimes my back. Sometimes it is a single twitch but sometimes (more rarely) repetitive twitch of the same muscle remaining for an hour or even longer. It is just moving around my body. Some days are almost without twitching and some days I twitch a lot. It has been like this for 14 months now. After Christmas it got somehow worse again and more intense. But before Christmas my whole family was struggling with various flus and it seems to me it is always making it worse. I also had covid again in November. Also my grandpa passed away before Christmas so it might be the cause of worsening.

Weight loss::
Last year and mainly over the summer a few people told me I lost weight and I am too thin (I had some stomach issues so most likely that was the cause). I actually started to measure the thickness of my forearms and calves (calves twitch a lot) a year ago and they are thin but it looks like they didn’t get thinner over the last year.

Muscles gaining:
Last two months I have been trying to gain some muscles by working out and I was able to gain a bit on my upper arms and maybe chest and thighs. Other muscles are not visibly growing but at least getting some strength (my workout performance is going up for sure for these last two months).

Feeling of weakness:
An year ago and also this September I had feelings of leg weakness. Weakness of both thighs. But I guess it was not clinical weakness I guess, it was just a feeling. In both cases I started to do leg workouts and it got fixed and went away. I guess it is related to my work. I am sitting before computer a lot

Speech symptoms:
Last two weeks I noticed I sometimes pronounce an “S” consonant less clear, not often and randomly. Maybe I am watching myself too much and it has been always there. When I focus there is no issue with pronunciation. But this was actually the reason why I decided to ask here on the forum. There are no other speech symptoms like nasal speech or difficulties speaking

Painful spots on my muscles:
I have quite sore spots on my muscles feeling almost inflamed. After a massage it is even more painful but later it gets better. I realized I have these quite a lot on my back.

So what do you think? Is it anxiety or should I visit a neurologist again? I think I need more some reassurence.

Many thank and best regards,
Lukas

In each paragraph, you have answered your own question as to what is likely going on with your body, and you said it yourself - you have health anxiety. As such, I would make an appointment with a counsellor and not a neurologist. You will get healthier that way, rather than take valuable medical appointments from folks who actually need them.

You don't evidence ALS in the least. The sad thing is, you've chosen to come to a site for terminally ill folks, and caregivers of terminally ill folks, to get help with your anxiety. There are professionals for that. It would be wise to reach out to one.

I wish you the best and take good care.

I'm so sorry you are experiencing this anxiety.
It is time to go back to your doctor and work through this. I would print out what you wrote us and take it so that you can cover each point.
Sometimes physical examinations seem brief, but doctors are highly trained to know what each seemingly small test tells them.
I don't see anything that would suggest ALS, but you could have something going on that can be treated.
All the best.

Sometimes journaling is helpful. You seem to have good self-awareness, and that's what made me think that keeping a journal might be helpful for you.

Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back