Not open for further replies.

godblessyouall

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hello, everyone, first of all I wanna say that all my prayers go to the people diagnosed with ALS and their family members and friends and want to thank everyone in this forum taking their time reassuring and answering questions to undiagnosed and anxious people regardless of the pain and struggles they feel!!

Obviously I am one of the anxious people also worrying about having ALS and would like to ask the people who had experience with the disease if any of my symptoms sound like ALS.

I am 25 years old male, was highly active individual - fitness, running, martial arts until I had an injury - golfer's elbow a year ago from which I am still recovering and not able to work out due to the pain in the tendon. My symptoms and fears of ALS started in November 2022 with sudden stiffness and cracking in my jaw, stiffness and burning pain in my calves/legs, cracking joints almost everywhere, random pains, urinary hesitancy, balance issues and dizzines, muscles getting fatigued quickly, vision problems and brain fog. Some of the symptoms got better, others stayed. Beginning of January this year I started having twitches all over my body after a respiratory infection with a fever. Since then everything seems to worsen - pain and burning pain everywhere - wrist popping and pain, forearm pain just from holding a phone but I want to mention that the pain had not caused any weakness at all only muscles getting easily fatigued.All bloods I have done came normal only borderline low B12. I visited a neuro on 4th January, he made an NCS and told me EMG was not needed. NCS results were slightly reduced NCV in L5/S1 and big reduction in sensory nerves. He ordered an MRI spinal and brain which came normal only with sinusitis. Prescribed some medications but symptoms still sticking until now so would like to ask does any of these sound to you as ALS and should I schedule another appointment with a neurologist for an EMG or better contact a rheumatologist or may be do a Lyme disease blood test ?
Thanks in advance and God bless you all!

Hi there-

It sounds like your searches about twitching brought you here. If you read here: Read Before Posting you will see why everything else you list points to something else. Your NCV results also point elsewhere. If you are still worried about your non-ALS symptoms, you should consult with your doctors.

Please take care

You all, below is great news. It's up to you to believe and faith now.

“I visited a neuro on 4th January, he made an NCS and told me EMG was not needed.”

A Neuro has extensive education that you don’t have in that field. Your
doubt of his determination probably goes back to Dr. Google.

“I am 25 years old male,”

We have written so many times how the huge odds of someone in their 20s
having ALS is extremely rare within ALS being a rare disease. I wish Dr. Google
would present that too.

You have so much to be relieved for. Work with your doctors to cure/help
your issues other than ALS. Hope it happens in the near future.

Last edited:
You should ask your doctor what is the best next step.
There is nothing of ALS, not even a tiny bit in what is happening.
I hope you find the cause and treatment soon.

These are good questions, which could be discussed with the GP. If you don't have a good working relationship with your GP, you might want to try a different one.

The GP can generally order a Lyme test. If the GP doesn't want to and gives you a song and dance about how persistent Lyme is totally irrational, that might be a good reason to switch.

Have you started a B12 or B complex supplement? Don't overdo it, but I read that B12 deficiency can mimic ALS. I tried supplementing but it didn't help me!

I wonder if for the short term you could figure out what forms and types of exercise you can tolerate, to help you have a slightly more positive outlook, while you're waiting for the medical establishment to figure out how to help you.

Regards.

Thanks for taking your time and answering my questions, you definitely assured me as I am not someone who is usually an anxious person but since November it's been a rollercoaster for me - being extra cautious of my body and sensations and searching every new thing I experience and trying to point it to some disease. Anyway I was on a vacation for 5-6 weeks and when I came back to work ( i have a painting business) I feel like I my muscles are getting tired really quick and get painful and almost everywhere, every muscle that you can think of not weak but burning like too pumped after a workout and immediately after that a bit twitching but no weakness, I would say they get easily fatigued so I contacted and visited my GP but he is not taking me seriously due to my age and he says it is only because of anxiety which I know it is not the case because until the symptoms appeared I have never been anxious quite the opposite so I really plan on visiting another neuro and rheumatologist privately and changing my GP. Anyway does these new symptoms sound to you like ALS progressing or there is definitely something else? Thank you.

Please take these questions to your GP. Nothing you've posted is ALS related. Further, asking the folks here to try to figure out what's wrong with you is inappropriate. Folks here have enough on their plates as it is.

Good luck

It really sounds like something else. I don’t see a rheumatologist mentioned in your initial post so that is a really good idea as well as working with a gp. I personally would not spend money on a neurologist right now

I'll give the third senior member response - those 'new' symptoms point totally away from ALS.
Please find a doctor you trust if you don't believe your current GP and follow their advice.

You All... think about this...

" I am not someone who is usually an anxious person."

" I have never been anxious quite the opposite."

You are now.

Your last sentence above... No. and yes.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your messages and trying to assure me but there are new symptoms coming and I am really getting worried - hard to swallow, excessive yawning and my forearms feel really stiff after work and I also noticed that yesterday after a whole day of hard work - sanding and painting my hands were shaking and my thumb was twitching while I was holding my phone. My anxiety now really goes through the roof and tomorrow I am visiting the GP again so we could discuss the new symptoms and possible further testings as there is really a lot of happening for just a 25 years old. Really it all started with neuropathic pain and numbness in November but everything got worse during I had my respiratory infection in the beginning of Janury which consisted of really bad cough, sinus infection, high fever for almost a week and extreme fatigue so since then it is like new symptoms are popping up every day as I am so hyper focused on my body that I can't relax and function normal. Praying every day that everything is going to be alright and I am not going to be one of the extremely rare cases of young-onset ALS. Anyway I am not gonna bother anyone here anymore until I have done some tests and know for sure what is going on as you kind people are going through a lot already. I just wanted to say that since all this happened and discovered this forum everyday that I pray you people are in my prayers!!

Hopefully your doctor will be able to reassure you about ALS. It seems that the responses and information here has not. I will be closing this thread to further comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back