Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
GR
City
Athens
Hi everyone. I'll try to make this short. I have experienced fasciculations on every part of my body. I seem to have a hotspot in my right arm, just below my elbow (I also get them on my face when I'm very very stressed), which is sometimes accompanied by pain. The twitches are not constant, but they are frequent. I feel pain on every part of my body, but it seems that there is some brief, mild pain on my palm after I use my two fingers, particularly the ones on my left hand, the "weak one" (I'm right-handed). I don't have failure yet, but I'm wondering if I'm just one step behind. The pain is the most suspicious part for me, but other than that I do feel my left arm being weak and trembling, even though the doctor I went to noted no such thing. I can lift things even with the two fingers that I feel are weak but this particular morning I tried to test myself by opening a big clip with them and I got pain on my hand and finger joints after. I lifted a very heavy bag yesterday with my left hand and I can pick small objects but I sometimes do feel pain after movement. I have felt one of my fingers swollen (though it wasn't) and I overall feel those two particular fingers (thumb and index) very weak. Is there ALS potential here? Btw I'm a young adult. (Sorry for my english).

No, this does not sound like ALS at all. But I would ask about a physio referral if your problems persist or worsen.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you so much Laurie for your answer.

After posting this paragraph, I remembered a few things that might be helpful. I had difficulty buttoning a cardigan (this was a test I did on myself, I never really wear things with small buttons to compare) and I once had to try three times to unlock the door with my right hand. Unlocking the door (not turning the key, unlocking it) has been much harder lately (I usually fail the first time) than I remember it being before December but there have been times when I've done it very effortlessly. Last but not least, I do get really tired doing things with my left arm. It does, eventually, feel shaky and tired.

I can't shake the feeling off that this is something really bad and I'm just very very early in, but I'll consult a neurologist very soon. In the meantime, I'd appreciate every opinion given.

Truly you need to discuss this with your doctor who can explain the physical exam they did and why your feelings are nothing to do with ALS.
I highly recommend reading this really carefully. You may not believe us as you are allowing yourself to fall into the rabbit hole of believing something terrible is about to happen.

All we can say is that ALS never starts the way you are experiencing. I truly hope you get help and find out what is happening, there is likely to be a quite simple solution if you open your mind and let ALS go so it can solved.

Hi again, I'd like to describe a few more symptoms that I've noticed more recently (they did exist prior, too). Headaches that come and go, internal tremors when I use my left hand, fasciculations that last for hours in one particular location, foaming especially on one side of the mouth as I speak, dry lips, mixing up words (I say the first half of one word and end up saying another) and I have trouble pronouncing letters/I don't articulate words well. I also have facial pain and fasciculations are sometimes caused when I touch a nerve (weirdly they almost always happen on one side of my face), plus it feels like my jaw deviates more to one side, but I'm not sure. Could this be ALS?

I took a blood test and nothing showed up other than vitamin D deficiency.

No need to keep posting non-ALS symptoms. The more you post, the further and further away your issues are from ALS (not that they were close to begin with). Please, bring all further inquiries to your doc.

Good luck to you and take good care.

As I've already asked - if you have concerns see your doctor. We can't help further. I do hope you get back to full health soon, it can be done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back