Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
Carol Stream
Hello all and thank you to those who take the time to read and respond to this post. My name is Alex and I just turned 29 this past April. I guess I can start off by saying that I have been having extreme anxiety around this disease due to my muscle twitches in my left hand and forearm along with that I also have widespread twitching through out my body. I also seem to have tremors in my fingers and legs, However the muscle twitching is more persistent in my left thenar and hypothenar muscles. I also have a twitch in my forearm when I bend my ring finger that drives me nuts and serves as a reminder that something may be wrong with me. Let me say that this has been going on for well over five years, and the twitch in my forearm I noticed around this time last year. I haven’t had any weakness that i know of, I’m still able to lift weights and grip things fine. I had an emg done about two years ago with clean results, however I just had a second emg done about a month ago and there were some changes, I attached the results to this thread and wanted to know what some of you guys may think. My neurologist said that things were normal however he saw some changes in the upper extremity that may be due to a “pinched nerve” but couldn’t confirm. I read the results and came across something called chronic partial denervation and upon searching that on google all that I can find was the topic of ALS. Of course this threw my anxiety over this into overdrive. I’m not really sure what it is that I want to ask here, I just want to know what you all think of these results? Is this a waiting game for me? If this were als would I be much worse by now? Could this be the onset of the disease? I have become obsessed with this and it is destroying my mental health. Part of me says that because I did have incredible neck pain during the emg that lasted about two weeks could he be right about the radiculopathy? However another part tells me that this has been going on for so long no way have I had a pinched nerve for that same amount of time. Hope to hear what some of your thoughts are and I’m continuing to pray for those affected by this.

Attachments

• 1AED511B-EE5F-4F4F-85EA-30C3DFD332C6.jpeg
    1AED511B-EE5F-4F4F-85EA-30C3DFD332C6.jpeg
    584.5 KB · Views: 128
Hi Alex
I'm sorry you have yourself so worked up about this.
I'm sure your doctor explained why this is not ALS, just as the report says, but you need some further reassurance.
Please do go back and talk to your doctor about your severe anxiety as that truly can be treated.
I would like to reassure you that, while I'm not a doctor, with all that I know of ALS, you are not presenting with any symptom that raises red flags for ALS, just as the report says.
It might help to have a good close read of this link. Twitching and tremors honestly mean nothing so far as ALS.

All the very best

Alex, as you wrote…

“Could this be the onset of the disease? I have become obsessed with
this and it is destroying my mental health.”

Last sentence of the conclusion…

“There is no evidence of Motor Neuron Disease.”

That’s as good as good can be. Now… get help for your Health Anxiety.
Say prayers for yourself too… that you can put ALS to rest destroying
your mental health. (As you wrote.) At just 29 years old you're too young
to carry the burden of worry of ALS. Hope you find the cure of your ills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back