Not open for further replies.

JC0489

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hi everyone. Firstly, a huge thank you to the amazing people on this forum. Both those asking helpful questions to those providing insightful answers. It’s a huge source of information and guidance and I’ve found it to be a great help.

I’m Looking for some guidance from those who either live with ALS or look after someone that does regarding my symptoms.

I’ve had a headache for about 5 weeks now. It been pretty persistent and only the very occasional day goes by where I don’t notice it.

About 3 weeks ago, I noticed a ‘feeling’ under my right eye. Best described as like having excess skin under the eyes, like a fold or wrinkle. This feeling turned into an eye twitch which then moved to my left eye and my left eye has been twitching consistently for 3 weeks now.

About 1 week ago, I then had a muscle twitch (what I now believe to be a fasiculation) above my right knee. It lasted perhaps a day or 2 non stop and ever since then, my knee will ‘click and crunch’ whenever I bend down. This was not there before and is there every time I move the knee.

I started to do some ‘light’ strength exercises over the past three days (attempting squats, plank, push ups) after my attempts, my body feels incredibly week and shakey. More than I’ve ever experienced before. It seems to settle an hour or two later, it somewhat shakey for rest of the day. My knees seem to feel very week all the time. Going down stairs especially.

Shortly after the right knee twitch, I started experiencing some random twitches around the body. Eyes, knees then calf’s, top lip, left cheek bone, right buttock.

Shortly after these twitches came on, I felt a ‘pulsing’ and ‘buzzing’ in my left foot. This seems to have moved to my right foot and both are going further up the leg and calf on both sides.

Finally, I’ve been getting pretty bad oral Candida too.

My GP is calling me tomorrow where I shall be talking through all the above.

So I guess my question to you amazing bunch is…. Does anyone have any experience with the same symptoms above? Do they sound in line with anything you’ve seen or felt? Are there any kind of links or patterns you can see from the timeline / symptoms I’ve stated.

I know there’s lots of people, just like me, experiencing these symptoms and it building a sense of worry - so I cannot thank you e rough in Advance for sharing your experiences, thoughts and knowledge on the above. It would mean a great deal as I start to work through things with my GP

Thanks all.
J

Hello-

Please make sure to read the Read Before Posting link. It addresses many of the reasons people find themselves here asking about ALS. Headaches, buzzing, pulsing, thrush, etc, do not give a doctor cause to think MND. Twitching can mean anything from nothing at all to vitamin deficiency to overuse or so many other things.

Hopefully your doctor will be able to reassure you, but it sure doesn't sound like ALS. Please let us know how it goes.

Take care

I totally agree with Shiftkicker that you need to read that post really carefully, maybe twice.
The answer to all your questions about symptoms is no, not a single thing you are experiencing sounds like ALS.
That doesn't mean nothing is wrong, just that it is not even remotely like how ALS presents.
I hope you get a diagnosis and treatment sorted quickly.

Hi Shiftkicker, Hi affected.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply to me, I really appreciate it.

Whilst worried, I appreciate this is something I need to press with my GP and wasn’t looking for a diagnosis in the forum. More just asking for advice and opinion from those who have experience and knowledge around the topic. As so many people can attest to in this forum, it’s awfully worrisome when experiencing all these different symptoms for the first time and naturally the mind does wonder into various avenues whilst in search for answers.

I will make sure to keep you updated once I speak to the GP tomorrow.

Thank you again and hope you both have a nice evening.

Jim

You really should not 'press' anything with your GP. Your doctor is highly trained in objective examination and medical interpretation of that examination. If you start suggesting what you want investigated, you can take your doctor off track (as then they feel a legal obligation to humour your concerns) and can then cause the correct diagnosis to take much longer to achieve, while heightening your anxiety over what is wrong.

We are not attempting to diagnose you, how could we? We are simply saying, you don't present with a single symptom that would even remotely suggest ALS. And we know ALS pretty darn well.

So stop googling and reading all the scary stuff, and let your doctor do their job. It will be faster, and so much better on you in every way. You won't ever get this time back, so spend it doing things that matter in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back