00/0000
Country
CA
State
BC
City
vancouver
Hi Guys,

I know there has been many previous posts with the same title and concern, but please hear me out as I think each case is unique and sometimes someoeones options or recommendation can go a long way.

Im 26 years old, Male, with no existing diagnoses medical conditions.

Since 3-4 weeks ago I got an onset of extreme stiffness in my legs to a point where I had to stretch every morning before walking. I felt my walking was different and soon realized my thighss and calves have tremor when I bend the muscles and open them. I took Advil and didn't take this seriously. A week later now both my forearms, shoulders, biceps, abdomen muscles almost every muscle all throughout my body including my jaw muscles are stiff and have tremor . my hands feel weak especially when I type on my keyboard as I am doing so now. A lot of stiffness on my arms, elbows , biceps and triceps as soon as those muscles are used. Everyday that goes by this gets worst.

My fam GP did a series of blood work that were all normal. I was evaluated by a neurologist last week in which he did a physical exam that was normal and ran a series of blood work that h Checked for Lyme disease, vitamins deficiencies, muscle proteins and enzymes and all other issues that would cause this in which were all normal including B12 and magnesium. He told me I am to do an EMG study in August and will have to wait until then to get a semi diagnosis.

In Canada there are very long waits to see the right physician and get the right tests done, I am very worried as I watched YouTube videos of people who had or have ALS and their symptoms in muscle stiffness was all the same with mine. I know some of the forums it says ALS is a painless disease that causes loss of function in daily activities. Well, I have had loss of function or in the process of having them. Typing, holding an object for more than 5 mins or climbing the stairs causes all those muscles to stiffen up and make the movements a lot harder. .

My arms feel like I am wearing a very tight long sleeve shirt that the muscles can't move. Im consistently stretching my arms to create a better feeling, consistently moving them to see if one has loss of function or not. but there is pain and stiffness especially in my shoulders and elbow joints.

The tremor in all of my muscles only happen on negative movement. Meaning, lets say you are doing a weight freee bicep curl, upon bringing your arm down or releasing the curl, my biceps tremor. Same with my thighs, shoulders, forearms, calves, neck and more.

I would love to hear your honest opinions and thoughts, this means a lot.

Blood work doesn't see everything. This sounds more systemic than neuromuscular, and certainly not like ALS. You are describing widespread and diffuse symptoms that ALS onset doesn't consist of. I would be looking hard at your sleep, stress, nutrition and hydration, if only to build up your reserves as you await your appointment.

Best,
Laurie

Hi Alec-

It's true there can be long waits for specialty care in Canada- however, if they think it's urgent, you get appointments sooner. I'm from the same area as you, so I am familiar with the system, and can tell you I received MRI and EMG testing within 7 days of requisition due to the doctor being concerned. I am not saying your care is not important or urgent to you, but that your neurologist did not see a need for immediate medical care. It's possible your issues are not neurological in nature, so the wait time will provide the doctor further information about symptom development (if any) and where to explore next.

All the best

I wanted to add that my MRI was normal. I had an MRI done back in May for headaches and it was normal.

These symptoms started pretty sudden a few weeks ago, early June.

Please re-read Laurie and Shiftkicker 's replies again. Your symptoms are not ALS onset symptoms, so I'm not too sure what more you can get from a site centered around ALS. I can only say to keep working with your doc on this.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Unique cases that don't match our Read BEFORE posting post, never turn out to be ALS. That's why we created the post.
Please do work closely with your doctors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back