Not open for further replies.

jennifer889

Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hi all - I really hope someone can give me some advice.

For a few weeks now I've had intermittent muscle twitching. It only happens when my muscle is at rest then stops when I move it. I've noticed it in my left foot and thighs mainly. I didn't really think anything of it but I've also noticed that when I point my toes after flexing my ankle my foot sort of jerks when I do it. My hand does the same when I go from having my wrist at a right angle to lowering it. It's like all juddery. I turned to Dr Google and obviously it's telling me the worst. I don't want to bother my doctor if it isn't anything. Has anyone got any idea whether I should see a doctor and whether this could be ALS as I'm really freaking myself out? Many thanks! Jen

Hi Jen- please read the Read Before Posting thread. It should reassure you. I am thinking you searched twitching online and it brought you here. Unfortunately, we get many people here for the same reason and who feel anxiety unnecessarily.

Please take care of yourself and hopefully take some reassurance from the linked post.

Thanks Shiftkicker. I did read the stickys before posting but I couldn't find any guidance as to whether the jerking when I straighten and flex my ankle / wrist is the same as twitching so I just wanted to check!

Thanks for your reply!

Great news Jennifer - you are experiencing twitching or jerking and it means nothing at all in relation to ALS, just as the read before posting message you were referred to says. Please see a doctor for your concerns as that is the appropriate way to have health concerns treated. You aren't bothering your doctor, you are paying them to do their job. All the best!

Jerks or twitches with rest or effort can often be relieved by a stretching regimen, a diet that provides more even energy/glucose during the day, and the same for hydration. Stress can also play a role and frequent work/screen breaks help.

Most often it all comes under irritability. It is when the jerking is primarily at rest when trying to sleep and is only relieved by movement, that we would suggest screening for Restless Leg Syndrome and similar disorders.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back