Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
City
New York
Since I live in NYC and we pretty much have the coronavirus everywhere here, I do not intend to visit a neurologist until after the pandemic. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone is willing to help evaluate my symptoms. I am deeply concerned and have trouble sleeping because of this.
I am a 23 year old Asian male who is currently in grad school. I want to start out with the symptom that scares me the most which is the myoclonic jerks when I try to adduct my fingers together. Most of them occurred from exercising like doing dumbbell curls. However, they have not lessened or disappeared which is why I am concerned.
a) 2 years ago, I started having fasciculations on random parts of my body, with the first one occurring on top of my right biceps when it was at rest (no prior exercise).
b) About August of 2019, I believe I had my first foot drop. I'm not sure if it was a foot drop or a foot slap but my toe pointed towards the ground which surprised me while I was walking. I experienced my 2nd foot drop 3 months later in December when I was walking to class. It has not occurred ever since.
c) Fast forward and about a month ago, I woke up because of allergies and experienced very bad vertigo (like dropping a coin on the table and when it starts to slow down, it does the weird motion of going up and down while spinning at the same time). At the same time, the left side of my body felt weak (which includes head, upper and lower limbs) and I walked down the hallway to what seems to look like a Trendelenberg gait (I slanted towards my left side of my body). After my vertigo stopped, I walked back and forth down the hallway and I would still lean towards the left side regardless of how much I walked. I went to sleep hoping it will go away and after sleeping for 3-4 more hours, the symptoms were all gone.)
d) 3 weeks ago, I woke up with a burning upper back that burned so much I had to take off my shirt for 15 minutes for those symptoms to disappear. Just yesterday, I experienced the same burning symptom that lasted for over an hour on the dorsal aspect of my right arm, up to the axillary region. After the burning sensation disappeared, the dorsal aspect of my right arm was extremely fatigued for over a day.
e) 3 days ago, I woke up with numbness at the back of the left side of my head and at my left arm up to the axillary region. I also felt paresthesia at my right thumb and thenar eminence.
-As for more chronic symptoms that I forgot the onset of, here is a list:
1) Fasciculations on random parts of my body like my thigh, tongue, arm, hand, elbow, nose, buttock, eyelid
1) Bilateral paresthesia in both my hands and the bottom of my feet that last for a minute or two (mostly in the medial aspect of the both heels, bottom of both big toes, and sometimes the 5th digit)- feels like pricking of a thousand needles. A few times felt someone rubbing a feather at the sides of my face but is usually pretty rare.
2) Feet also sometimes feel pretty severe paresthesia, numbness, sweating, and some itchiness when I put a lot of blankets over them
3) Dorsum of forearms feel fatigued all the time
4) Always tired waking up and frequently yawning
5) Hard to urinate. Peeing strength is not as strong. (Onset may be 5 years ago)
6) Slight slurring of speech
7) Feels like there is excessive saliva in my mouth when I speak about 2 sentences or more.
8) Feeling the need to breathe deeply and feeling shortness of breath
9) Frequent cankersores (I'm not sure if this is some autoimmune symptom)
10) I even had ptosis (drooping eyelid) twice within the span of 2 weeks once.
-As for the thenar eminence picture, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to squeeze my thumb towards my index finger as much as possible but the picture represents me squeezing both digits together.
-I might just be a hypochondriac because I'm currently in the middle of finals month (grad school) and all of the acute symptoms happened during finals month. I am extremely anxious and I'm not sure what it is.

Attachments

• thenar eminence.png
    thenar eminence.png
    879.3 KB · Views: 121
No one can separate what might be a physical issue from your obvious health anxiety based on your account, but I can state with confidence that ALS is not your issue.

I would suggest that you make a list of your three most troublesome symptoms, their duration and pattern, and make a primary care telemedicine appointment to discuss them. It costs very little and might afford you some peace of mind.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you so much Laurie! I actually contacted my physician two weeks ago through telehealth and she believes that it's neither ALS or MS, but I did forgot to mention a few of my other symptoms during that appointment. This is why I posted here (with the new symptoms) to see if I can get a more accurate representation of what I have (also want to rule out ALS because of the fasciculations and myoclonus). I will have another check up through telehealth on the 8th of this month to talk to her about the other symptoms and the new ones. Thanks again!

I'm so sorry you are living in such a high covid-prevalent area.
I can tell you that there is nothing of ALS in what you are experiencing, not a single thing.
Keep working with your doctor and stay away from sites like this, they are not going to help you in this high anxiety time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back