Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WI
City
Madison
I am writing on behalf of a family member (female, age mid 40's) who has been experiencing a myriad of symptoms. I have gone through the sticky post with this person and have refrained from putting anything here, but have finally decided to post in an attempt to find out if these symptoms could be due to ALS. I will try to be as concise as possible:

First symptoms noticed last summer and consisted of waking up and feeling the hands numb/tingly, with it noticeably worse in the right hand. By autumn, index/middle fingers on right hand felt stiff and painful. By January, both hands felt this way, accompanied by frequent fasciculations, primarily in legs, but also in arms, hands, lips. Starting about a month ago, besides the fasciculations, a "buzzing" feeling was noticed, from head to toe. As of today, the buzzing is fairly consistent, and distressing, and keeping them awake at night. The feeling is best described by this person as "feeling like I am plugged in to an outlet". Hand pain now is fairly consistent, and seemingly exacerbated by hand-related functions (folding clothes, etc.). Appointment with GP approximately 2 months ago, referred to occupational therapist for suspicion of carpal tunnel. OT said it seemed like it, but not 100% sure, perhaps tendonitis. GP visited again 1 month ago, as conditions were seemingly worsening. GP performed the basic neurological, weakness tests, found nothing of concern. Referred for MRI, scheduled for early June. On top of these physical sensations, this person has been experiencing/displaying very high levels of anxiety - constant scanning of body parts, etc. for any signs of this dreaded disease, focused primarily on hands but also other parts of the body, and reporting swallowing issues (although no difficulties eating/drinking). Overall, there is no apparent loss or compromise of any functionality, whether it be walking, using hands/arms, talking/swallowing. Basically, this person would like to know if there is a possibility these symptoms could be due to ALS, and we sincerely appreciate your time and insight.

No, not in the tiniest bit. If you had read the sticky, you would see that every single thing you have listed completely points away from ALS. Given that we are in a pandemic, and no longer in control of our day to day life (somewhat to degree, anyway), that can heighten anxiety in most people. If your friend can, the best thing is to do is continue to work with their physician. The symptoms point to anxiety and totally away from ALS. You can confidently tell your friend absolutely no ALS.

Good luck to you.

I really mean no offence, but if you went through the sticky with this person you know you didn't find one single ALS symptom. You would also know that post is there so our terminally ill, heavily disabled members don't have to say the same thing over and over.

Rejoice, your friend is not about to die of this awful illness. Please don't feed your friends fears any further.

I sincerely thank you all to taking time out of what is certainly very trying times to comment on this post. It gave this individual comfort to hear that her fears are unfounded. We thank you whole-heartedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back