Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WA
City
Spokane
Hello all I am 29 years old. First of all I want to tell you how sorry I am that you have this awful disease. I want to tell you about my symptoms. In July 2017 I started twitching in my legs and it soon spread throughout my body. I googled my twitches and it send me into panic mode. I made a GP appointment and told him my concerns and he told me I was fine and I moved on. But with persistent twitches I told my rheumatologist what was going on as well.(I have psoriatic arthritis) she told me I needed counseling and not to worry myself . After about a year the twitches stopped and I moved on.
Then October 24 of 2019 I started to twitch again like crazy. One day it stayed in my right arm for 8 hours then in my thigh for several hours. And I've had twitches pretty consistent from then on , the back of my legs are always twitching it seems. But the last few weeks my right leg feels like its heavy and it feels like its just going to fall off. Also I have a pain in my hip that radiates to my thigh as well.
How long can someone twitch before *** is ruled out ? I referee high school basketball still and can run but I am scared and worried the entire time that my leg is going to give out and I'll be taken out if the gym on a stretcher. And my right thigh and calf are smaller that my left. Should I be worried? Thank you all for your time.

No you should not be worried about ALS. Someone can twitch for years and not have it. Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. Your pain is more likely from the psoriatic arthritis.

Please read this if you have not already done so:

As a teacher I'm sure you are familiar with the dreaded yellow letter saying someone in your child's class has HEAD LICE. THe letter comes home in the back pack. You read the letter and start scratching. Everybody in the house has HEAD LICE. and still you scratch. Hell nobody on the block has HEAD LICE, scratch, scratch, scratch. You are probably scratching now just reading about HEAD LICE. This is what you are doing with muscle twitches. You don't cough and go straight to end stage lung cancer. 70% of normal.healthy adults twitch. If you are worried, go see your doctor, I don't see you belonging here.
Vincent

I dislike restating the obvious, but sir, you're 29 years old and your doctor says you're fine, with the exception of psoriasis. Which maybe affecting your joints causing you to present as arthritic. That doctor told you to seek counseling for your fears and anxiety. Exactly why do you think your doctor's would misinform you? Do not borrow this or another death sentence my dear, go and enjoy this Earth and all the wonders it Holds. God bless you kiddo.

Thank you all for your time and replies. I have done some reading and some folks have twitching prior to weakness and it really scares me. I am still twitching all over my body legs, abdomen, biceps, feet. How long can I twitch before I can rule out ALS? Again thank you all for your time.

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. You could twitch for decades without ever developing ALS. Please reread the link provided to you above.

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. You could twitch for decades without ever developing ALS. Please reread the link provided to you above.
Then you again for your time. I guess what I'm asking does this body wide twitching present first without weakness ? And can weakness come second to twitching? And after twitching for several months with out weakness am I going to be okay ?

Thank you Karen for your time. I will try and not let these twitches bother me. I have done a lot of reading about this disease and I hope and pray science can heal this disease.

I'm here again after a couple weeks. I'm sorry to bother again. I've had some twitching consistent in my bicep for 6 hours at a time and in my thigh for several hours. I know that twitching means nothing without the loss of muscle function. These bouts of constant twitching have me thinking crazy thoughts about me leaving me kids from this disease. My rhumy tells me if I was sick by now I would be in a wheelchair by now. I have no weakness to speak of I can still run but I've had some cramping in my foot and persistent twitches. Any advice from you guys? Again I'm sorry to be a bother. Thank you.

Yes, my advice is to see a counselor and get help, including medication if needed, for your persistent health anxiety, before it ruins yours and your family's lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back