Country
US
State
Arkansas
City
Little Rock
I will try to make this brief.

Symptoms:

*. Muscle twitching: started out in a few places about a month ago. Then increased all over. Now has decreased but in more specific spots (calves, thighs, abdomen, shoulder area). It seems almost as if the twitching is moving from lower body to upper body. The twitching is still bilateral, most of the time. Sometimes it’s a fast little stab and other times it feels more like vibrations.

* Throughout the last week, I have started developing a feeling of a lump in the back of my throat. Last night, it was accompanied by a tight feeling, at times. Extra drainage. Can still swallow food and drink. Possible spasms?

*. Arms and legs jerk as I’m starting to fall asleep. Sometimes I wake up shaking. Sometimes I kinda jerk as I’m waking up. Sleep has not been very great for the past month because I’ve been so worried about ALS.

I have been to the neuro and my family doctor. I am 38 years old and female. I received strength testing and reflexes. My neurologist appointment was earlier this week, before the lump feeling was so prevalent. She said my strength was fine and she didn’t see anything concerning but they still wanted to do an MRI and the EMG. Of course, it’s almost a month away.

Also, all blood work was normal.

I was finally feeling as if my symptoms might not be as scary as I had first thought. But then I looked up throat spasms and I see they can be present in cases of ALS. All of this has been going on for about a month. Although I did have an issue with the lump in throat and minor twitching about a year ago and it resolved itself with a visit to the doctor.

Does this sound like ALS? Could I have passed clinical exam earlier this week even if my symptoms have increased? If I have beginning ALS and it’s affecting my throat area, wouldn’t I still be able to pass a clinical exam? My emg is only scheduled on my legs. Should I request it to be done on my neck area as well? How concerned should I be that these are pointing towards ALS? I know I will have a more clear picture ina. Month, but wanted some other opinions in the meantime.

Thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back