Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
City
North Massapequa
Help Please is this atrophy due to ALS ???
I'm a 60 year ol male heavily stressed about this.
Been experiencing back pain for 5 months. Went to ortho dr n he took a ct of thoracic spine which showed a lesion. He said nothing to worry about. Went back to primary MD n he said its muscular but I do show a benign bone tumour in right hip which doubled in size over 8 years so he's not to concerned. Went to see ortho surgeon. He says nothing to worry about but sent me for 3 xrays of spine, bone scan n 3 more mris..
Blood test showed low platelet count.not out of range but low....
With in last 2 weeks I've noticed all my joints in my body are clicking n with some cramping pain. Fingers , forearms, ankles and wrist too.
Whats really bothering me is I also notice a physical looking difference on both calves on my legs. My left leg has much smaller calf muscle and towards ankle skinnier than right side. Is this muscle atrophy of ALS ? Really nervous
Hands and ankle feeling crampy too.
Very stressed out. Also feelings of occasional muscle jerk n a lil numbness in left forearm.

No one is symmetrical. Also if you do have atrophy there are many other more common reasons including spine problems

only your doctors could tell you if it there is atrophy and only your doctors can tell you what is wrong. Work with them

it doesn’t sound like ALS. I don’t know if you intended to post pictures but if you did don’t bother. Go to see a doctor who can look at you. That is the only way to find out

Thank you Nikki, just extremely nervous .
I have an appt with the Ortho Surgeon .we he be the dr the could look at my lower legs n tell me if thats muscle atrophy or that's not his expertise ??

Yes. Any doctor can recognize atrophy and orthos see it quite frequently in their practice

Yes an my ortho dr did see some muscle waste in my left calf n ankle area. He asked me hows my balance i said I think ok. My fingers and wrist ache a little. He sent me to neurologist. Who gave me a office physical n set me up for an emg in the 4th of May. I keep looking at my legs and I get so stressed out I wanna cry. I think this is als.. that's all I think of every minute of the day.. also my voice has become a lil horsed. My arms feel stiff n I'm very frightened right now. Neuro dr did say he didn't think I had any underlying disease but thats based on a physical exam ... dont know wat to do. Muscle atrophy in one leg makes really scared !!
Thank you for reading this..

Expresso, "Neuro dr did say he didn't think I had any underlying disease but thats based on a physical exam".

"Key words... "Neuro dr did say he didn't think I had any underlying disease"

For a start... that is very encouraging news. Try and go with that.

A Neurologist is an highly educated, highly trained physician. You're not.

To be sure, he/she probably ordered the EMG to rule out any other of the many
Neurological diseases.

And... to help you be assured from the concern you may have presented.

Again, there are many (numerous) reasons for atrophy besides some catastrophic
disease.

Suggestion... stop reading about ALS. May 4th is just over a week away.

Ty Al for answering me. I have been also noticing some pain in my thinner leg towards ankle area. When I measured towards the ankle area its 1.5 inches thinner and up towards calf area 1 inch thinner in circumference. Walking with a lil limp favoring ankle .. extremely stressed out. Not really any twitching but voice is horse for past 3 days..trying to keep it together. Ortho dr agreed n thought it was muscle wasting n sent me to neuro. Awaiting emg test... ughhh
So scared of ALS diagnos. All my scans came back clean..

Again, as I wrote.... "Suggestion... stop reading about ALS. May 4th is a week away."

I notice you are the site now reading an old Thread.

Again, there are many (numerous) reasons for atrophy besides some catastrophic
disease.

"Key words... "Neuro dr did say he didn't think I had any underlying disease"

A Neurologist is an highly educated, highly trained physician. You're not.

Log off. Find something to do. If can't stay off your computer... search Health
Anxiety.

I'm going to add to my post above...

Apparently you don't take good advice very well... I see you are
viewing a post from last Wednesday...
"ALS ??? Very Scared."

You're only scaring yourself more.

Now you are viewing my profile. Have at it !

Al i apologize. Most scared I have ever been in my 6o years of living. Emg Test tomorrow and atrophy looks even worse in my left leg. Very big difference. All spine mris were good.i heard your voice changes also. which has happened to me for a week now. Please excuse my edginess. I'm falling apart hear.

You have an emg tomorrow. You may get feedback then. It depends on the policies of the institution and who is doing it. if it is your neuro they will probably tell you then and there If you don’t get an answer immediately do not read anything into it

Your neuro was encouraging during your exam. This is good. Go outside and walk. Call a friend or family member. Treat yourself to a special meal. Worrying does nothing at all to help and being here is the worst thing right now. Let us know when you have results

My test is evening of my 60th Birthday but I can't get myself to celebrate. So strung out with my symptons.. i keep looking at my legs every minute of the day.. seems to be getting smaller and smaller. But I can walk on tippy toes n heels.. Idkn anymore voice has changed now for about a week.. fingers still ache.... ty Nikki for listening

Received my emg test and there was an abnormality on it. The dr who performed
Emg said that one small muscle in my left leg .the atrophy leg he was unable to get a response from. The other muscles in the leg the response was low. I kinda freaked out. Waiting to see my nuero Monday to discuss. If a muscle died fron not receiving a message from brain isn't this ALS !!!I have been dying a death everyday in so shaken up. Legs are starting to feel week but idkn if it's from nerves. I can still walk in toes and heels. Starting feeling a twitch here and there... lasting about a brief second or to.. fingers still hurt. Very very very stressed.....

Without the report we can only guess but unable to get a response does not sound like ALS. Were you aware of it when he was doing it and what exactly was he doing?

Yes I seen him putting the needle in and felt it. And he kept pushing my toes up .said he couldnt get a signal from a small muscle near ankle it looked like. He said that was the only abnormality. When I look at that leg and how much thinner then right leg . I just fall to pieces. Keep thinking im walking funny now cause I know all this. Slight twitch in calf just one twitch. 2x yesterday n on my right arm .lasted a second. Dont think I can overcome the stress i have put upon myself. as if I have this now. ..its Literally like I'm dying everyday... the tech also said that I did feel strong on the bottom when he pushed and pulled my feet.. but legs starting to feel like putty and like I lean to one side a lil.. wake up n go to bed Literally thinking im dying. Thank God for the Xanax to go to sleep even thats not working well....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back