Mandarin

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
SE
Hi everyone!
I am usually not in a habit of posting anything anywhere. It is my preference to just long-read various forums and just be done with it.

But this one got me really worried so here I am. I am 29yr old male.

About 3 months ago I've starting having a twitch in my eye, which I didn't pay any mind to since it happens to everyone every now and then. However after about a month I went for a night out and got... let's say... extremely intoxicated from alcohol (It was a rare occasion, I dont usually drink often if at all). Right after that night I started having horrible neuropathic pain in the back of my brain and the spinal cord which was not going awaye It felt like my nerves were on fire for a month or two accompanied by a massive headache. After the burning period was over I have developed a very worring symptoms which I will list below:

1. Continious tingling across whole body (it happened once or twice in face and tongue but not constant).
2. Continious muscle twitching across whole body (not in the face)
3. Whole body weakness which is increasing daily
4. Fatigue (I can't get up from bed for the most part of the day)
5. Headaches that come and go (painkillers are effective)
6. Minor tongue weakness (I can still speak normally without public notice, but I feel the "weakness" in the deep tongue muscle, especially when pronouncing certain consonants)
7. Minor trouble swallowing (no choking or inability to swallow, just more complex)
8. Minor pain across whole body

I don't have muscle cramps, I can still swallow, I can still speak somewhat normally, I don't have clinical weakness (inability to do something).

I have read multiple forum thread on here and I understand that my symptoms will probably be laughed at as it's not enough to signify anything yet, but the fear of early onset ALS is just to terrifying to be ignored. I've got to the point where I'm wishing I have MS or cancer, since then I at least have a chance of fight.

I have been at a family doctor who did a brief examination of my reflexes and touch-my-nose things, everything was fine. She forwarded me to a physiotherapist to check me for muscle atrophy or other things, everything was fine. I am now waiting for an appointment to neurologist but that might take a while.

I know that ALS cannot be triggered by a certain event like alcohol intoxication or drug intoxication (I guess?), but I have a feeling I might've damaged my brain enough into developing an ALS condition.

I will note that we never laugh at people who are struggling with health issues or with health anxiety (or both). We do, however, have limited resources to help people outside of the basic information provided in the Read Before Posting.

It sounds like your doctor has provided a sensible pathway forward. A physiotherapist can definitely a thorough and provide in-depth assessment and exercise plan, follow you to see how you respond and then provide knowledgeable feedback to your doctor about possible issues. A neuro appointment, when you get one, will also be helpful.

Take care

I know you know that you didn't trigger ALS. So I am sure the neurology visit will be reassuring on that count.

It sounds like you managed alcohol poisoning, suggesting that you might not want to ever drink to excess again. Boring but important approaches to any lingering effects (likely exacerbated by your anxiety) can often be addressed effectively with hydration, nutrition, stretching, exercise, and (non-alcoholic) social activity. I'd do your very best not to stay in bed, even if you retire earlier than you used to. Low energy follows low effort. A group exercise class, even via Zoom, can help you be accountable for that.

You may also have had a virus or other infection that has contributed to the current state. If the neurological exam is negative, you might ask your GP for some labs to rule out ongoing infection, blood disorder, liver or kidney problems, for example. That can help rule out a lot of things. In all likelihood, there is nothing seriously wrong.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back