Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Newyork
City
Newyork
I am a 23 year old male for the last year I have been feeling weaker and weaker. I woke up one day last year and felt extremely sore after bowling and just brushed it off as nothing as i felt better after a day or two. Now just doing regular acitivites such as walking or raising my arms i get tired extremely quickly and my joints feel stiff and heavy.

The doctor brushed it off as anxiety but i knew i shouldnt be feeling this sore after normal activities and he ran some blood work. My vitamin D levels were very low and he said i had hypothyroidism and am now taking synthroid. He said this could be responsible for my muscle problems but I have been taking the supplements and the thyroid medication for around 3 months and still havent really felt better.

At times i also get numbness and tingling in my feet but not sure thats anything more then my foot falling asleep as well as a preasure under my left eye. Its not painfull but definally feels different then my right.

Thanks in advance for responses

Hi Happy camper (love the name) Luckily it does not sound anything like either. You would not present with painful joints. Could be a simple virus. Just wait, time is a good healer.
ALY

How in the crap did you get navigated to the ALS forum with those symptoms? You should burn that road sign lol...sounds like neither. Sounds like typical hypothyroidism. Just because you are taking medication for your thyroid doesnt mean it will regulate instantly it could take months to find the right dose and assume you are on the right dose it could take awhile to regulate. Sensory and joint pain have nothing to do with ALS or MS sweety. Bless your heart to have found your way here :(

How Is ALS Diagnosed?

In addition to a complete medical history and physical examination, there are several diagnostic procedures for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease.

Tests to diagnose ALS may include:

* • Laboratory tests including blood and urine studies and thyroid functioning tests
* • Muscle and/or nerve biopsy
* • Cerebral spinal fluid analysis (spinal tap), a procedure used to make an evaluation or diagnosis by examining the fluid withdrawn from the spinal column
* • X-rays
* • Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), a way to image soft tissues that's noninvasive and that doesn't involve x-rays. MRI produces a sharp, two-dimensional view of the brain and spinal cord.
* • Electrodiagnostic tests (i.e., electromyography, or EMG, and nerve conduction velocity, or NCV), which are studies that evaluate and diagnose disorders of the muscles and motor neurons. Electrodes are inserted into the muscle, or placed on the skin overlying a muscle or muscle group, and electrical activity and muscle response are recorded.

Interesting wording....test to diagnose ALS! Theses tests don't diagnose ALS. They just make sure you have no other illness that could be causing the symptoms, including the emg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back