Could this be ALS? EMG and NCS question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahm93

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
TR
State
AN
City
Ankara
Hello all,
I had and EMG and NCS about 8 months ago and my doctor said they were normal. But today I looked at the results thoroughly and I saw polyphasic potentials with normal muaps in all muscles tested. When I searched for polyphasia, I found it as an early symptom of ALS. In emg result it says there are some chronic neurogenic changes in accordance to radicular level. But after reading polyphasia, I am kinda freaking out because they are seen as abnormal actions. Does that mean my EMG was actually dirty? Thank you so much for help.

Your EMG would need more than polyphasic potentials to suggest ALS. That is a fairly nonspecific finding. People with ALS will also have positive sharp waves and increased insertional activity in a widespread pattern.

Thanks a lot for the information. Last questions before I set my mind at ease. I had this EMG 8 months ago with polyphasic actions. Is there a chance that I can't realize but it progresses? The reason I ask this is because I haven't experienced any kind of weakness or atrophy from that time on. Are 8 months enough to eliminate a disease as malignant as ALS after these results?

Non worrisome emg and no weakness= no ALS. You did not say why you had the emg but if you weren’t weak and aren’t weak forget about ALS. Twitching often brings people here. If that happens to be your issue remember twitching without weakness is common many healthy people twitch

(closed for multi)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back