Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UA
Hi all,
Will appreciate your thoughts.
My mother is 65 and she was diagnosed with ALS around 2 years ago (first symptoms were 2,5 years ago).

This is first known case in the family. Her father died in the age of 80 (heart issues), her mother is now 85 years old.

Recently my mother's younger sister fall ("without reason" she said, but she hurt her head a bit, so might be kind of blackout for her). I know that fallings might be the early ALS symptom (though it wasn't for my mom).

Anyway, is it possible, that it is FALS, if both my mom's parents hadn't symptoms? I don't want to bring anxiety to the family and ask my aunt additional questions about this accident etc. But I'm a bit anxious myself, as you might already suspect.

This is a massive jump. You know if your aunt fell because of ALS weakness it will keep happening and there will be noticeable symptoms developing.

with two parents who didn’t/ don’t have ALS at 80 plus and presumably no other family history FALS is highly unlikely. I am glad you didn’t bring it up to anyone else

Falling is indeed scary.

How does your aunt's DEXA look? If in the yellow or red zone, she might benefit from a bone density medication such as Boniva or Prolia.

There are so many things that can cause falls in an elderly person.

PT for balance can also be helpful.

Some older people have the PT come to their house, some like to go to the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back