Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uk
State
Lanarkshire
City
Glasgow
Hi there in late 2008 I had an operation on my tailbone- nothing major but the following day I could hardly breathe- the anasthetic left me with half breaths and very painful when doing them. This lasted one day.
Following the operation I spent eight weeks in bed and when
I returned to work I stood eight hours a day typing for five days a week.
I have since had a painful rib cage and a sore back.
Whilst I don't have my symptoms all the time I find it hard at times for my latteral muscles to hold me up- if I'm standing for long periods I get the sore back and if I lean on someone the pain eases off.
If I lie flat when I am getting an attack the pain starts to switch off - all feelings like my back can't hold me up.
I have started on occasion being short of breath- if I'm sitting on a couch leaning forward or on a rowing machine leaning forward I get the pains and sure enough the shortness of breath.
I don't have shortness of breath all the time but I hey occasions.
I have around 9 months ago had some trouble swallowing food but that has not came back and also had occasions where I wake up choking in the middle of the night but I stopped dairy before bed and that seems to have worked- that felt more like a phlegm over my airway.
I wight train four times a week- sometimes I get the attacks of pain- not usually with shortness of breath but some excersices aggravate the back upper muscles and I feel l need to lie flat.
My question is does this sound like Respiratory onset disease with also baring in mind this pain has been for three years- the shortness of breath certainly over a year and a half but can't be sure how long for-
Also happens after eating full meal- pain shortness of breath- I lie flat it eases off.
Had numerous other tests all clear.
I am panicking due to the rib tenderness/ the feeling I can't holds myself up at times and also the shortness of breath but that could be panick I guess- the shortness of breath is not there all the time.
ONE OTHER THING- my rhumotologist on a sepperste issue last week put a measuring tape around my rib cage asked me to breathe in and back out whilst he measured and said it was "normal"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Al

I am not a dr but I doubt it is als. Als does not come and go. Maybe you should see a pulmonologist and have your breathing checked out.

Thank you very much for the reply x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back