Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
TX
City
Austin
Hello everyone. Recently joined the forums and have really been impressed with the quality of the feedback and advice. I am sorry for another tremors posted but I would love to hear any thoughts that you have on my circumstances.

Age--26

10 months ago I started noticing tremors in my hands and got concerned. I was referred by my GP to a Neurologist who did a strength and reflex test and told me I was just fine. He said it is possible that I have an essential tremor but he didn't think it was anything to worry about.

Over the next several months I continued noticing tremors in my hands and then in the rest of my body. A few points about the tremors:

- Though they are noticable from time to time when I'm not flexing, they primarily occur and increase when muscles are flexing.

- After I mow the yard or edge (anything with a vibrating motor) and flex, my hand and arm shake violently. Again, primarily when I'm flexing. This is how I noticed the tremors initially.

- When I stretch or contract my muscles (all over my body), they shake.

I went back to the doctor last month (9 months after initially noticing symptoms) and he did another strength & reflex test and said he's not worried at all. Said he would do an MRI if I wanted to make sure but I can't really afford to shell out the $ for the deductable. The doctor has diagnosed me with an essential tremor and told me that while it's something that will affect me all my life, it can be treated.

No real muscle weakness at this point (other than from time to time when I think I'm thinking too hard about looking for it). No stumbing, loss of coordination or sizable weight loss +/- 2 pounds.

I have not seen a big progression in the tremors but they continue to really worry me. I would really appreciate any thoughts other have about these symptoms.

Hi trae,

I am not a dr, but ususally with ALS you get the tremors from weakness and atrophy in the muscles.
Did your dr do bloodwork for your thyroid, an overactive thyroid can cause tremors.
Did he put you on any meds for the tremors?

It is not unusual for someone to have a tremor after using equipment infact it is common if you are holding a vibrating machine like a weed wacker hedge cutter lawn mower. So that isnt any thing to worry about. I have seen patients with benign tremors and that is treatable and harmless

I wouldnt think it is ALS

Pat1

Thanks Patricia & Crystal.

No, the doctor offered to put me on meds for the tremors but I told him I'd prefer to wait until they got to a point where they are affecting my day to day activities before I took that step. Apparently essential tremors are known to get worse over time.

On the vibrating equipment front, I know it's not unusual to have mild tremors as a result but this is a particularly alarming area for me because the tremor is particularly violent and it's the only time I really feel like I lose control of my muscles. But point taken.

The doctor did run blood tests for Thyroid issues (should have mentioned this) and everything came back fine. I also recently had a normal physical with full blood work and everything was fine.

Thanks again for the feedback. Would appreciate any additional thoughts.

Hi trae. Violent tremors are not a normal? sign of ALS. Small rippling in the muscles are fasciculations and can be benign or any number of other things. I'd try the tremor meds and if they go away, great, then you know. Otherwise you're going to hang around here asking questions and driving yourself and your family crazy with worry. Take the meds. If they don't work then ask us all the questions keeping in mind there are no Doctors here.
AL.

Thanks very much, Al. That is very good advice. I haven't talked to my wife or family about it yet because I don't want to worry them at this point. But for me, the worrying/stress can get pretty maddening if I let it.

My symptoms are not so much fasciculations as they are tremors (shaking hands, etc.), so I'm not sure if that makes any difference in terms of ALS.

Can I take any heart in the fact that my symptoms haven't really progressed over the past 10 months since I started noticing it or that I haven't lost weight?

In all of my research I just can't seem to find a definitive "here's how fast things move" timeline.

Thanks again.

Has your Doctor mentioned Parkinsons I not saying you have it But thats how my friend started.
Pat

Hi Patricia-

He brought it up but said I was "too young to have it"--seemed to write it off completely but that may be something for me to do a bit more research on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back