resrunner

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
F/27
Hello everyone, I hope to not take up too much of your time but I've been concerned about some relatively sudden issues popping up which haven't quite fit any specific disease pattern leaving me at a loss and with tremendous anxiety over it! Incoming wall of text which is bigger than I expected.

Starting on Friday 1/6/23 I began to notice a creeping tingling/numbness of my left arm and leg, primarily from the elbow down and the calf down. This continued without change for 3 days until 1/8 when it worsened to an almost burning sensation, then began to fade with random recurrent tingling over the next several days after I vigorously massaged on 1/9.

From 1/10 to 1/12 my L arm and L leg felt very sore and stiff, with new onset of fasciculations all over and my legs shook a bit when standing. My L arm and leg throughout this entire time has felt "weak" but definitely not clinically weak, so my arm fatigues quickly and my leg feels like it want to give out up at the knee.

1/13 stiffness subsided and twitches have faded somewhat but still most typically on my left side. I feel like I notice barely perceptible twitches under this skin when barely pressed.
-also noted numbness/tingling returns at night or when sitting still.

1/14 mentally a bit better, did treadmill workout and made it through but L leg felt more affected by it. More numbness or even "vibrating" internally at night.

1/15 slightly less fatigue in arm and leg. Since anxiety over this feels slightly more under control I'm trying to rationalize what causes these issues. Like my arm could be a repetitive strain injury from work, and maybe my leg is sciatica? I've had sciatica in the past on my R leg but it definitely affected that leg differently.
-I will say numbness in leg is sometimes positional, like holding a figure 4/cross legged in sitting.

TLDR; Basically the anxiety came on very strong when both my limbs went numb and I've struggled for it to come down since. Still have numbness occasionally and arm and leg are sore/feel like giving out at times, with occasional twitching.

Bonus info!
Saw urgent care on 1/11, given citalopram which caused AWFUL burning skin sensation over my whole body at night. Back to urgent care 1/12 and given hydroxyzine and propranolol for more immediate anxiety which is kinda hit or miss and mainly just kinda sedates me.
Scheduled for PCP 1/25 and way out to a neurologist in April.

Separately I have had random dizziness throughout the past few months as well as a brief 10day period of urge incontinence in November and random pain behind my eye lasting a few days when this numbness started Originally kinda had me thinking MS but everything is so sporadic.
Lastly i had heartburn/stomach pain for 5 days prior to numbness onset, and diarrhea/loose stool for the past 2 weeks.

Thanks to anyone who reads this ridiculous rant, I know my fear has gotten the better of me at the moment.

Hi there- sorry your internet search brought you here.

I am pretty sure the Read Before Posting link will provide you reassurance. You have been experiencing sensory issues for 10 days. This is not at all how ALS starts, as you will read in the link.

Hopefully you will be able to work with your doctors to find out what's going on, but ALS is not what you should be looking at.

Please take care.

Please do read the post Shiftkicker directs you to and you will quickly see that this is nothing like ALS, bonus info or not.
I hope you get answers soon, but don't try to become a google doctor over these minor symptoms that have only just started.
All the very best.

Odds are high you have a post-viral syndrome (test for Covid?), and/or you need a new mattress, couch or computer chair. I am sure the PCP will reassure you as regards ALS. That all this has unmasked anxiety that you are probably over-treating with drugs suggests counseling to help sort out what's going on.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks for the responses you three. I would love for my concerns to have immediately been relieved, but things have changed since my last post.

My left arm shifted to being intensely sore in the extensors/forearm and now also includes the flexors, and I feel I am losing dexterity in that hand (tying knots, twirling a pen, etc) and have more fatigue from movement. My calf muscle also continues to feel off, but I can't explain it. So no more sensory issues but there is some pain with muscle movement in the arm and leg.

It still stands that you work with your doctors. You've had an initial exam, so your doctor can track any changes if you feel something has changed.

Take care

You should try stretching. It can relieve your issues that sound like possible Charlie horses. Not ALS at all.

Take care and good luck.

All we can say is - if symptoms persist or change, see a doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back