Reason
Other
Country
US
State
CO
City
Highlands Ranch
Approximately two weeks ago I started having tingling sensation in my 4th and 5th fingers of my left hand. A few days later, I noticed some weakness when trying to open a tylenol bottle using only my left hand. I also noticed weakness in "pinching". I have no other symptoms.

? Als

My suggestion would be to rule out everything else first. Ex. Pinched nerve,carpal tunnell. What I always do first is go with the least invasive procedures as possible. Start with family MD. If no relief or answers, neurologist. Don;t jump to conclusions too early,you'll go bananas! Just a suggestion.:?:

That sure sounds like a local neuropathy of the nerve in your outer wrist, that is giving you the tingling sensation. As APC said, don't jump to conclusions . . . you will go crazy. Go to neurologist to confirm. :)

Could this be ALS?

You guys are correct in that it's driving me crazy with concern. I do have an appointment with a Neurologist, but it's not for another three weeks. In the meantime, of course, I'm imagining the worse case scenarios.

From website searching, I've found that my symptoms nearly match Unlar nerve dysfunction. I hope this is all that it is.

Ulnar nerve dysfunction is what "local neuropathy" is, bigdogdaddy. My money is on that. Were your symptoms sudden?

Could this be ALS?

Yes. The tingling came on suddenly - overnight. It feels like when you're coming off novacain after being to the dentist. The tingling sensation fluctuates - meaning it feels like it's lessening at times, then it returns but has been constant since I first noticed it. It affects my pink more than my ring finger. I noticed the weakness in my hand a couple of days later when putting on a pair of jeans - they're a bit snug around the waist. I noticed I could quite "grip" the jeans with my thumb and fingers when trying to button them up.

My grasping motion doesn't seem to be affected just the pinching motion.

Take your wrist and pinch it right at the outer edge . . . directly below the pinky. Tell me what happens to the sensation in your fingers and hands.

P.S. Do you spend a lot of time with your wrist against a hard surface . . . type a lot with your wrist resting on your desk, etc.?

c

No change in finger sensation. I am on the computer most of the day. Haven't really paid much attention to hand position, but as I'm typing no, I have my arms pretty much laying on the table w/ the palm of my hands touching the desk top and hands slightly flexed up.

Your hands being in one position for an extended period of time during the day . . . for weeks and months on end, is enough to cause a neuropathy. My money is still on the neuropathy. Let us know what the neuro says. In the meantime, I think you can relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back