Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
London
Hi! I'm a 20 years old male living in Canada.
I'm a Korean, so I apologize in advance if my English is bad.

Starting several years ago, I've had occasional difficulty breathing along with some chest pain, that gradually built up to cause anxiety issues (hypochondriac). So I decided to go get checked up earlier this year regarding my issue; had blood test, urine test, chest x-ray, and coronary heart scan which were all fine. Then I was fine for several weeks then I started to develop new symptoms.

Random twitches all over my body, occasional mild muscle pains, feeling weak (not sure if perceived weakness or clinical weakness), feeling lightheaded, constant fatigue, etc,. These symptoms are still here and I've been worried about ALS, Parkinson's Disease, MS, and other serious neurological diseases recently. Starting a few days ago, I found myself messing up some of my words when I speak (not sure but I think that's what slurred speech means) around 2-3 times a day along with some pain in the back of my head. When I found myself slurring some words, I started to panic then when I talked consciously, I could speak fine. I'm also feeling like I have more saliva than before; drooling while sleeping more often.

Today, I was frantically trying out some tongue twisters (not sure if they mean anything) and I could do them fine. My mom is telling me I'm completely fine and told me that trying to get checked up with these issues is a waste of time and it's just my hypochondria. I understand you guys are not doctors but I just wanted to ask if I can still get some insights regarding my issues and if there is a chance of me having ALS. What should I do? Thank you so much in advance!

"occasional difficulty breathing along with some chest pain...Then I was fine for several weeks"
This is definitely not ALS at all.

"twitches all over my body"
Twitches can be anything, or nothing at all. They're not diagnostic of ALS.

"occasional mild muscle pains, feeling weak, lightheaded, constant fatigue"
Doesn't sound like ALS.

"when I talked consciously, I could speak fine."
Not ALS. In ALS, muscles in the tongue are paralyzed forever. You can't make them work by talking consciously.

Your mom is right. If you're not feeling well, you should ask your GP doctor. I suppose there could be something wrong here, maybe diet or vitamins. But this forum is only for ALS, so I won't attempt to diagnosis you.

To me sounds more like a more severe case of anxiety, like Mike said definitely go see your GP, most of what you described are not related to ALS. ALS is only the slow degeneration of the motor neurons so only motor functions (movements) would be affected. It does not cause headaches, pain, fatigue or any sensations such as cold, hot ...etc., only functional impairments and muscle atrophy.

Breathing, speech issues and even twitching muscles are also some of the most common signs of anxiety and especially since you moved to a different country/culture it's a good possibility. I would check with a general practitioner first, then possibly a counselor next. Remember anxiety has very real physical effects on the body!

Good luck and let us know how things go!

Thank you for the replies! So it's not ALS, and I should seek help for different possible causes of the symptoms?
As far as I know, none of my families/relatives have ALS.

I figured I have no problem moving my tongue in any direction rapidly and also as far as I can see, I have no clinical weaknesses (I have no problem performing all the simple tasks) so I guess I can assure myself that I don't have ALS?

_edge: "I can assure myself that I don't have ALS?"

Absolutely right. No question about it.

"occasional difficulty breathing along with some chest pain...Then I was fine for several weeks"
This is definitely not ALS at all.

"twitches all over my body"
Twitches can be anything, or nothing at all. They're not diagnostic of ALS.

"occasional mild muscle pains, feeling weak, lightheaded, constant fatigue"
Doesn't sound like ALS.

"when I talked consciously, I could speak fine."
Not ALS. In ALS, muscles in the tongue are paralyzed forever. You can't make them work by talking consciously.

Your mom is right. If you're not feeling well, you should ask your GP doctor. I suppose there could be something wrong here, maybe diet or vitamins. But this forum is only for ALS, so I won't attempt to diagnosis you.

@ Atsugi (the in-house neurologist) :)
Wow I would love to be told I don't have ALS, I have Twitches all over my body even my tongue, but I have also had a CT, 2 MRT's, EMG, Spinal Tap, and 7 other tests and I am healthy, no strokes no diabetes, no high blood pressure, just super, nice to know, but I do have a real struggle in breathing, I can but not as I used to, not up to running anywhere. My strength is fading and fast and I have great problems walking anywhere, my legs don't belong to me, I see them but they don't do as I wish, and there is my speech, I stumble a lot but as being quick in reflexes have not tumbled yet, it's only a matter of place, it will come, gravity is getting stronger all the time. But no numb limbs yet but I notice:

Stats, somebody hallowing Stats: 61 years old, 41 Years married, 3 children and 4 grandchildren. Microsoft Certified Master Active Directories Architect. Freelancer Retired as I can't continue my job as I have to communicate as a consultant. Too bad the money was very good but that's life.

Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?

Hi!

Today, my arm/hand felt really weak and realized my arm/hands were shaking while I was pouring water from a bottle.
It feels like I can still tightly clench my fist and my finger dexterity (tested with typing test on keyboard; still could write 120+ wpm constantly) is still good.

Should I not be worried as I can still pour a bottle of water and my finger dexterity is still fine?
Or should I completely take ALS out of my mind and assume it's more common thing such as pinched nerve?
Didn't find any problems (with simple tasks) other than that.

Is "dropping object" that is present in ALS caused by some degree of weakness in hand or is it caused by complete unusability of muscle in hand?

I'm planning on visiting the doctor soon regarding my anxiety issues (hypochondria).
Thank you in advance!

I think you just answered your own question. You have Hypochondria. See a doctor for that and learn to live instead of spending time on a forum where everyone is dealing with a disease that you TRULY do not want. Life is about living and with help you can have a great life. Spending time on this forum is not the way to do it. Please be kind to yourself and those of us here and stay off the forum. We are not the support system you want or need. Take the time to read or study the issues you are having and find a support group for anxiety. That will help you a lot more than stopping in here. Best wishes and get some help.

Good answer! Exactly my thoughts but expressed much better than I could. Thanks.

Thank you for the kind answers.

I do really realize now how much I was disrespecting everyone and their caregivers who are suffering from this disease; I sincerely apologize.
I will seek help for my anxiety issues and learn how to enjoy my life. I guess I've still got many years to enjoy.
I hope I never visit here again. Thank you so much again for motivating me!

Have a great day everyone.
Sincerely, _edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back