Status
Not open for further replies.
Your shortness of breath is restrictive, think allergies or straight up asthma. The type of breathing issues in ALS are related to the diaphragm and other muscles stop working due to the phrenic nerve dying, not restriction. I see puffers in your future not ALS.
Vincent

I thought asthma caused a obstructive pattern on PFT?

Edited... got lost trying to follow this one. :)

Your second sentence, " I’ve had a full cardiac and pulmonary work up all normal except pft showing restriction." then your replies that followed. Sorry.

Tucker, follow through with your doctors.

PS. Are you over weight? For many people just 20 pounds or another 10 can cause most of the symptoms you have posted.

According to what I read I'm 5'7 and should weigh around 155. I'm currently around 190 so yes a little overweight. I don't think it would cause my severe breathing issues though? Especially the suffocating feeling at rest I get all the time. What scares me is when my breathing issues started so did the muscle twitching. It feels like a tight band around my ribs most of the time.

I'm not looking for a diagnosis here just want to see if anyone diagnosed with als here could relate to my symptoms.

True — asthma causes obstructive pattern. However there are many conditions that cause restrictive pattern. To name a few — chest wall and skeletal deformities, obesity, brain or spinal injury, diaphragm injury, phrenic nerve injury, connective tissue diseases, other muscle disorders, pleurisy, lung infections, sarcoidosis, malignancies — to name a few. ALS is at the very bottom of the list and would be ruled out by the normal EMG.

Tucker, the bottom line is work with your doctors. Stop asking us. We cant give you further answers or reassurance one way or the other.

So it is possible that this als though? As much knowledge as you guys know about this disease have you seen a PALS have similar symptoms?

Oh my goodness, you've been told no several times. Go see your doctor with further questions and do not post here again until you've seen a doctor.

Good luck.

Mod note: Tucker, you have been answered multiple times by multiple people and you have continued to ask the same questions. Please do not post further unless to report what your doctor has told you. Make an appointment and be sure to ask them everything you need- you have received all the answers you will get here.

I will leave this thread open ONLY to provide you a space to note doctor's reports, but do not ask anything else here- talk to your doctor. Further questions here will result in a closed thread. Please respect the members here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back