Not open for further replies.

Perna

Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CZ
I will be short as I understand and respect everyone’s time.

I had NCS and EMG, but I’am afraid they might miss problems because they tested the wrong muscles.

Neurologist did the EMG and after test he said that everything is ok. No fasciculations and fibrillations and any evidence of ALS.

Is it possible that this EMG could have missed ALS because the hand (forearm) muscles were not examinated?

My symptoms:widespread muscle twitches, shaking fingers, burning sensation in forearm (right hand)

Tested muscles: R. Biceps brachii, R. Deltoid, L. Biceps brachii, L. Brachialis, L. Quadriceps

Hi there- please read here here- particularly the section marked "EMGs". Sounds like they knew what they were doing- and along with your sensory issues, ALS is not in the picture.

Really good idea to go back and ask your Neurologist so they can explain why they made their decisions as they are the qualified person. The short answer is no, if you had ALS they knew which muscles to test and would have found it with those. All the best.

I’ve read the sticker but I’m still confused…

About one month ago I noticed my right fingers felt weak (I am right handed). Maybe my fingers shaking due to muscle weakness?

I'm not sure why they didn't examinated my "weak" muscles and now I have the feeling that everything has been "thrown away".

So I'm just trying to understand if EMG was done in my symptomatic limb, but not in the symptomatic muscles... it would have picked up changes in the other areas as well?

ALS is a disease of widespread denervation so yes it should have showed something. However it is also true as you were told above they know which muscles to test. they are not always where you think. I started with ankle weakness the relevant muscle was in my leg. they also saw changes in other muscles that were not yet causing weakness that was detectable by either the doctor or me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back