Could ALS start in the upper arm? ( bicep area)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all kindly for your help.
I certainly was not looking to continue to ask the same question over and over. I just wanted to be sure that i was explaining myself correctly. I apologize if it did seem otherwise.

Im glad it does not appear to be ALS

You are all kind to take time to help others.

I will have my arm evaluated.

Thank you

So I was freaking out and made an apmt abd just saw my primary physician.
She also said that it “ might “ be rotator cuff however she thinks that there would be pain in the shoulder.

I showed her my twitching eye and a video of the arm twitching and her demeanor shifted.

When I asked about motor neuron disease, she said it IS possible. It is not probable but it is possible.

She said twitching in a muscle for 5 weeks is a long time. That it is not normal. She seemed concerned.

I started panicking and she caught on and then told me it is not high on her list but it is on the bottom.

Now I’m a complete mess.

I feel as if she wanted to rule out other stuff just because that’s what they do as part of a mnd diagnoses but that her suspicion was ALS

She said that muscle cramping and twitches is what MND starts as but there are other things that can cause it too like potassium , magnesium but that makes no sense because I can’t lift my arm higher in the back.

So it is likely.

This is her plan, She is checking bloodwork , then MRI of shoulder, then neurologist.

Please please tell me what about not being able to reach my bra in the back
And muscle cramping along with the eye twitching abd twitches on that arm don’t appear to be ALS. ?

All I can say is that ALS in your case would be extremely unlikely. Twitching means diddily squat, i.e. zero.

You have come to an ALS forum asking advice and opinions of people such as myself who are dying from ALS and people who are caring for or have lost a loved one to ALS. We have given you our opinions. You are clearly extremely anxious and apparently not believing us. It is certainly reasonable to check an mri of the shoulder. But meanwhile you’re going to have to find a way to control your anxiety. I really can’t think of much more to tell you.

You've been told the opinions of the kind folks here. Please remember those words as you go on your diagnostic journey. Again, remember these words-you.do.not.have.ALS
Good luck to you.

We truly sympathise, but strongly suggest that you now work with your doctor, and don't post here until you have a diagnosis. That will round out your story for others. We have said all we can, one person answering you is a doctor. However, you need to work with a doctor who is able to examine you and order then interpret the tests. Now that you are doing that, this forum really can't do more.
I wish you the best with figuring out the problem and getting it treated, which I'm sure will happen.

Sorry. You are going through enough of your own. I’m not being insensitive.
Thank you for everyone’s help.

I keep reading that a muscle that is not functioning is the hallmark of ALS so I really just need to ask why you think that this is not.
I didn’t sleep at all.

Angel, can you re-read the Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms! post please? Particularly the last part that addresses what to do when you have received multiple answers and been asked to speak with your doctors. This forum is here to support those with ALS and their caregivers. It is not meant to be used as a general medical or anxiety resource or a replacement for in-person medical care.

Please seek help for your overwhelming anxiety while you work with your doctors to track down the cause of your symptoms. I am closing this thread. Please do not open another unless you have a report from a neurologist in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back