Could ALS start in the upper arm? ( bicep area)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel555

Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TX
Hi

I’m hoping someone may be able to help me.

Could ALS start in the upper arm, below shoulder?

I noticed a couple months back that I can’t longer reach my bra with my left hand. My muscle feels tight/ sore and I just can’t get it to reach.

The past 3 weeks I have constant eye twitches on left side that are relentless.

Yesterday I also had this weird looking twitch in the same arm below my shoulder that lasted a few minutes and have not returned.

I am 51 female and curious if ALS upper limb could begin in the bicep ( below shoulder) upper arm area.

Would I feel muscle pain?

I know you are all going through so much and I do appreciate your responses so thank you in advance.

Hi

ALS usually starts distally in a hand or foot It is rare but possible in the upper arm.

However tight sore and can’t reach does not sound like ALS but rather a local problem.

Twitching is not worrisome anywhere. This is extra true of eye twitches. They are if anything a sign of stress.

See your primary doctor

The most common reason for pain in the upper arm is an issue with the shoulder, often some sort of tendinitis. Shoulder pain tends to be referred into the upper arm. If you can’t reach above your head or reach behind you to fasten a bra, you most likely have tendinitis in the shoulder region. Twitching is nonspecific and meaningless. Start by seeing your primary care doctor or an orthopedist.

Thank you for both for your replies

The best way I can explain it , is the triceps muscle is not working properly.
I can reach above my head and I do have strength when pulling And pushing but I can’t reach my back/ bra and I can only reach my lower waist when putting my hand on my waist.
It’s as if that specific muscle is not allowing me to use it to move into those positions as I once did.

Hope that makes sense.

Would that be an odd presentation of ALS?

Would that be an odd presentation of ALS?
Very unlikely.
A shoulder tendon problem is still most likely.
Please see a doctor if you’re concerned.

As someone who has a shoulder issue, yours sounds identical to my issues. The good news, as others have mentioned, it sounds nothing like ALS.

Good luck to you.

Years ago I had the same issue. It was a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder. I did PT and it helped a bit. That same shoulder developed tendinitis and it hurt like heck. It even froze once and that's how I found out about the tendinitis.

My niece just found out she had torn her rotator cuff and needed surgery.

My recommendation would be go to a ortho.

Nothing you mention even remotely suggests ALS.

Oh I’m glad , this is reassuring.
I got nervous because that muscle doesn’t appear to be working.
I still however don’t have any shoulder pain so I can’t see it being the shoulder.
Has anyone here ever heard of anyone beginning ALS diagnoses with upper arm onset?

You said your muscles feel tight/sore, then you said a few messages down you don't have any pain.
Gotta be one or the other.
But it's not ALS which is great news. Please do read that Important post again, we put so much into creating it.

I’m sorry I’m just trying to understand how if my muscle isn’t working , it points away from ALS.
I went to that link a specific muscle will stop working , not the entire limb initially.
Just trying to understand.

I will try to explain this to you, but I also strongly encourage you to see a doctor because it is not clear that you have.

Your symptoms strongly suggest tendinitis in the shoulder, and rotator cuff tendinitis is most common. That condition may or may not cause pain, but when it does, the discomfort is often felt in the upper arm especially when moving a certain way against resistance (which a doctor can test). The inflammation in the tendons can restrict certain motions of the shoulder, most commonly reaching overhead or behind you, such as with putting on a seatbelt or fastening a bra. The restriction of motion may resemble weakness but the difference is that it responds to cortisone injections, other anti inflammatory drugs, and physical therapy. ALS does not.

The danger of not treating rotator cuff tendinitis is a frozen shoulder. So get it checked out.

Thank you. I can see where that would make sense but my shoulder is not the issue.
I looked up the anatomy and it is the tricep location. So it is the tricep muscle that is not doing its job. That muscle just stops ( as if it’s frozen at a certain point) and does not allow me to go past a certain point.
Example I can lift my arm to place it on my hip but I can not raise it higher to my waist.
I can use my arm as normal and wouldn’t know there was an issue except for when doing that position and also when I reach around to undo my bra, it will only reach to the bottom of my back , I can not lift my arm any higher. It just stops.
My shoulder has no pain at all. My tricep area feels cramped when attempting those two positions

I suggest again. Go see your doctor. It is far more likely to be something local and feeling tight/ sore as you said does not sound like the beginning of ALS. After you get an answer from your doctor let us know but we aren’t going to say anything different in the mean time

I understand you are worried but the folks who have answered you multiple times have told you what ALS looks like and it does not look anything like you are describing. Nothing, zip, zilch, zero, nada. This is great news.

If you are sincerely concerned (it's not ALS so scratch that from the list), you would make an appointment with your doc. You will not get diagnosed with whatever localized muscle problem you have from people on the internet.

Best of luck to you and take good care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back