Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
GA
City
Roswell
I researched the forum for information, but couldn't find anything specific to this topic. My coughing and choking started prior to my diagnosis last October. It was chronic. I have been using the cough assist machine since this past April.

Over the last couple of weeks, my coughing has almost stopped. I thought that it would never stop. Is this routine or any cause for concern? It's a good thing as far as I am concerned, after a bout of aspirational pneumonia, but this disease has too many "surprises" for me to become complacent.

Thanks for any opinions or information.

Can you still force a cough, if necessary and are you still eating?

Nothing surprises me about this either.

Oh yes, I can still "hack" away if needed, and still have some coughing in general. Just nothing like in the months previous. Eating is somewhat slower, but still ok.

This rings a bell. Give the forum a search for the thread "silent aspiration". I think Nuts and her husband had to learn about it the hard way.
The body might get so used to choking/coughing that it no longer reacts and that's the highway to aspirational pneumonia.
Might mean that eating and drinking is becoming very dangerous.
Stay with the cough assist, it's a lifesaver and please take care.

Have you decided to get a feeding tube? If so, it might be a good time to talk with your doctor about it. You don't have to use it all the time but it will make your quality of life better and safer.

I researched the forum for information, but couldn't find anything specific to this topic. My coughing and choking started prior to my diagnosis last October. It was chronic. I have been using the cough assist machine since this past April.

Over the last couple of weeks, my coughing has almost stopped. I thought that it would never stop. Is this routine or any cause for concern? It's a good thing as far as I am concerned, after a bout of aspirational pneumonia, but this disease has too many "surprises" for me to become complacent.

Thanks for any opinions or information.
This might sound strange, but when my wife kept having those awful coughing bouts, she started taking a generic allergy pill I bought from Target, the little pink ones, so they were kind of easy to swallow, and they really helped her. As soon as she started feeling that tickle in her throat, she'd take one. Sometimes several times a day. Everyone is different, but they helped her when they occurred.

interesting! i didnt want to post (almost the same) problem, which actually ended, so no use to talk about past things.
i cough for a 2,5 years. it comes and it is gone. no rule, unpredictable. i noticed that when i used thc oil, it stopped. maybe it was by chance. after 2,5 years of cough with few months pauses my fvc is 102%. 31.7.2018. i was on metacholin test (i'm in a procedure of finding a cause of caugh before i am diagnosed with als!!), technician was surprised with my pimax and pemax (you can not more???). that scares me.
initial diagnose included: "discrete bulbar signs".
at that time i jawned a lot.
--
now status is: coughing, no jawn, big apetite, much sweating.

did you measure pemax pimax fvc, can you drink with no problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back