Diagnosis
07/2020
Country
US
State
CA
City
XXXX
Hi all! The last couple of weeks, when I wake up, I cough for about an hour or so. I’m going to bring it up at my next appointment in a couple of weeks, but in the meantime, I was looking for some suggestions or insight. It’s a wet, productive cough. I don’t really cough any phlem up or anything though. I sleep flat on my back or on my side. I’m not really comfortable being propped up with pillows, but wondering if laying flat is my problem?

I had the same problem, maybe worse. GERD. I sleep with a wedge pillow + wedge pillow. Also, don't eat & drink very little 4-5 hrs before bed. Haven't had any problem since.

I've had GERD for years. Best advice is not to eat at night. Get your calories in during the day. There is a thing called silent reflux. A Gaviscon tablet chewed and swallowed, followed by some water helps.

Mine is so bad I had to take a proton pump inhibitor. I don't like taking it but it allows me to eat things I wouldn't otherwise, like dark chocolate and tomatoes.

GERD is only one possibility. Do you have a humidistat in your bedroom? I sleep best when the humidity is between 40 and 50. My eyes don't dry out.

Do you have allergies? Did you change your bedding materials recently. I only ask because I bought an expensive memory foam mattress years ago and I woke up coughing every morning. The off gassing from the foam was causing a reaction.

I do have GERD. I never even thought about that being the issue, but it totally could be! I need to watch that.

We do have all those fires here in California so the smoky air could definitely be aggregating the cough.

Thanks for the good reminders! I’m still so new in my journey, that anytime anything happens with my health, I’m always worried that it has something to do with PLS/ALS. But, like I’ve said before, I need to constantly remind myself I can still get run-of-the-mill health issues that I need to watch out for that have nothing to do with that.

I don't have Gerd, but I do have allergies. I'm constantly coughing and always have a tissue in hand for my runny nose. When I went to the pulmonologist on Friday he ordered a percussion vest to help loosen phlegm. He also ordered a cough assist device. They are bringing it out today, yes on Sunday to set it up. I'll give it a week before I post if it helps with my coughing.

Lisa, I hope it helps.

Yes, the smoke in California can certainly cause coughing and choking. Praying you get drenched with rain.

You made a very important point. We PALS do get other crap and we had other crap before our diagnosis. The first year, I put off everything not ALS. I didn't even go to the dentist for a couple of years. Then in 2018 I figured since I was still around I should get the two crowns I needed and go to a dermatologist and my gastro. Two weeks ago I went to the podiatrist with what he diagnosed as plantar fasciitis. I was amazed to hear how many people I know in this condo have had this condition. I got fresh blood work to take to my ALS doctor tomorrow and will report my other health issues to him.

I had the respiratory therapist at my house for 3 hours today :oops: teaching me how to use my cough assist machine and my sporty new purple percussion vest. Mucus seemed to break up after doing a session on each of them. Pulmonologist wants me to use each of them twice a day. I'm going to have my husband take a picture of me wearing the vest, I look like a fashionable purple astronaut ready to take off. I'm supposed to get my trilogy machine next week to replace my cpap machine. I told my husband we're going to need another room just to store all of this equipment. 😕

@lisa g hopefully it makes a good difference!! It’s so crazy how much equipment is needed and how long the process is to get it all set up.

@KimT I feel like between COVID and just dealing with my diagnosis, I have not done very well at keeping up with my run-of-the-mill check ups and appointments. I really do need to get on a better schedule with all of that.

I understand. It's hard enough getting things done without Covid. I'm considering skipping my pain management doctor's next appointment since he has relaxed the rules and people are once again packing the office. They wear masks but I don't think it's safe to have a dozen people in a small waiting room, mask or no mask.

Lisa, that was quite a session. I use my cough assist in reverse to expand my lungs.

@KimT I love your new picture! You’re beautiful! 😍 I need to eventually put a picture on my profile, too.

Tippi, esp. with Cali fires, make sure your filters, fan blades, etc. are clean and a nasal steroid, dry throat spray and/or sugar-free cough drop is worth trying before bed. Make sure your sheets and pillow case are clean and try an unscented detergent/softener or dryer sheet if you are using scents. MND changes the ways your muscles respond to irritants/stimuli.

We have a fire near here in Wyoming. I am having a terrible time with the smoke and ash. I have decreased lung function so I end up wearing my ventilator most of the day when the air quality is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back