coughing and difficulty breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: unbearable cough

Thank you, Laurie. I'm sorry i opened a new thread. i realized later that i already complained about my dad's cough, so it's the same issue. I'll continue on that one. Maybe you can help me merge the two threads? <Done.>

Last edited by a moderator:
I noted that you said " he still has really thick saliva" . Are you getting anything up with the cough assist machine? If so , what does it look like? Color? Consistency? My husband was never on bipap, he was trached and vented , I found out through a long learning curve that the key for him was keeping the secretions thin with water intake. I saw a direct correlation to the consistency of the secretions thinning out and then the cough assist could get a lot more out and more easily. It's always best to consult your doctor as to how much fluid per day based on other medical conditions.

What about suction machine. At night when the coughing starts that is the only way for me to clear the thick mucous.

I'm so glad to hear the cough assist is on its way. I use mine to expand my lungs.

I would want to be sure your dad doesn't have an infection going on that is producing more mucus and causing him to cough. Take Karen's advice.

When I consume dairy, it seems like I get more mucus. I know there have been clinical studies that say otherwise, but there is so much anecdotal evidence that dairy messes with some people. I have not had a cold since 2001 but every time I start dairy again, I start to cough. I don't think about it happening but, after a few days on dairy, it does happen. I don't have an allergy to the proteins in dairy nor am I lactose intolerant. It just makes me cough.

I agree about using the suction machine. I sometimes use the suction machine more than the cough assist. I get what feels like a glob of mucous in my throat and it will cover my airway. As soon as I feel it I go for the suction. It works for me.

CarolSue

Hi everyone, thank you so much for all of your suggestions! I would like to update you on my dad's coughing issues.

It seems that we have found the reason! We followed Laurie's suggestion to go to square one and stop all of the procedures but the bipap every night (oh, btw, my dad's bipap is ResMed Aircurve10).

He is so much better! We suspect it was the nebulizer (together with ipratropium-albuterol) that might have been causing him to have bronchospasms! He is sleeping it off now for the past two days, but there is almost no cough!

We will start introducing the vest/cough assist gently now and monitor him.

The doctors also gave us a referral to do x-ray without us having to go to an urgent care. he is so weak after not sleeping and coughing for several night straight that I didn't want to drag him to ER!

It was such a difficult weekend, I honestly was thinking could it have been the end? But thankfully it is over!

So glad you have things under control again!

Good news. You are such a good CALS. And Laurie is such a valuable asset to this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back