Status
Not open for further replies.
We have noticed increased cough in Dad especially when he is lying down. He coughs almost continously when he is lying on his back. What do we make of these symptoms ? If a breathing aparatus needed soon? When do we consider a trach ? ANy advice will help.

Is your dad taking something to dry up saliva? I used to have a chronic cough, but now I'm taking Elavil and it helped it.

I was taking the Elavil as well but found it thickened the secretions too much andIwas just about bursting a lung trying to get them up. Went off it and I cough more but it's easier to get it out. Different strokes for different folks as they say. AL.

Hi Guys, Thanks for the replies. YOu are right in that the saliva must be causing the cough. The doc prescribed some saliva medicine today so we will see if that makes any difference. BTW is saliva production more in ALS patients or is it just that the normal saliva which a healthy person swallows (probably subconciously) does not now go in and just stays in the mouth ? Also the doc is insisting on feeding tube but dad says he can still swallow stuff. However he is eating less mostly because the mouth fills with saliva when he puts food in the mouth which completely kills the taste. He says eating is a torture not so much because of swallowing issues but because there is no taste (Must admit though that he has always been picky with food, a habbit that has come to bite him mow). ANy expreiences on how to deal with this situation ?

There is also a motion sickness patch that contains scopalomine and will help. In Canada, it is an over the counter medication. Can't remember the name off hand right now.
Good luck,
CHeers

T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back