Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
CA
State
Canada
City
Somewhere In
So back in early June, I developed some sort of dry cough. It would come on suddenly with a tickly feeling in my throat. The end result would be minutes upon minutes of coughing. Followed by a relief for an hour or so. The same cough wakes me up at night.

Mid-June I got a pneumonia. At the time, I figured the preceding cough was just me getting sick.

Fast forward to now, and the darn cough persists. When I get an "attack" I cough to the point it causes me to vomit.

I have tried lemon and ginger tea, lozenges. Nothing seems to work. My lungs sound clear. Recent chest x-rays done in April were fine. When I went for that first visit at the clinic mid-July, my FVC was fine.

I have no idea whether this is MND related, my gag reflex or just an annoying cough. But any ideas as to what to try or insight is appreciated. This is wearing me out.

I had a cough for several years before my doctor figured out it was caused by reflux. I was put on nexium for this and the cough stopped. Now I'm hearing that nexium reduces the acid in your stomach which in turn causes the bacteria in the stomach to flourish. This can lead to higher risk of pneumonia caused by reflux. Weigh the cost/benefit and decide. Good luck.
Vincent

Funny after I posted this, I did a google search and acid reflux came up. I don't feel like I have acid reflux, but you never know. For now I just bought some Gaviscon to see if that will give some relief. I don't think it is disease related. Admittedly, I can see some rapid changes of late. But it this stage it is so difficult for me to differentiate the cause, as I have been under so much stress, overworked and living such a transient lifestyle these past eight weeks or so. It's hard to decided which came first; the horse or the cart. If I can get some relief until I see the doctor in a few weeks, I'll be overjoyed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for your input, Vincent.

A dry cough can be associated with reflux. Meds are really trial and error. I have reflux and the gi doc said no tomato,citrus,coffee,caffeine,carbonation,onions,peppermint,pepper, etc. Essentially you eat bland white food and hooray you are feeling better. Yuck!

Funny I have a GI doc for an unrelated disease and I have never been diagnosed with reflux. Still, I think it's worth a shot. And I'll try the Gaviscon and change my diet. But, truly, YUK! The "no" list has everything I like aside from carbonated bevvies (Champagne is the exception). Not thrilled but if stops me from choking to near death each day, I'll be happy and relieved. I nearly drove my car off the road today when an "attack" came on. That was a sure wake-up call. Thanks, gooseberry.

Life, my big thing is the caffeine. I love that cup of coffee in the morning!

The reflux I was experiencing was no pain, no burning, just an incessant cough that got worse when laying down. That's why it took so long to get the cough under control.

Love my morning coffee too Gooseberry. Good to know, Vincent. I'm hoping that this is the cause. Too tired to deal with much more. I swear I could sleep for an entire month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back