Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
Wi
City
marshfield
can anyone direct me to where I learn about a cough asist. my frienc has endured one cold w/o coughing - they gave im a lot of Rx though... I suspect he's on the verge of another cold - though he is blaming his allergies - I think a cough assist thing would be helpful.. dont know if they are aware of this support - does a PAL have to be REALLY bad - as far as breathing / lung capacity B4 they can use this? I know his capacity is under 45% now -( & he's still working !)

My husband PAL if on a bi-pap at night and uses the cough assist at least three times during the day. We think it has made him better...at any rate he is not having as many coughing spells as he had before starting the cough assist. As we understand it, the cough assist helps a PAL cough but it also expands the lungs which become very tight when breathing is shallow for a long time. Whatever it is he uses it and feels that the forced air and coughing is making him have less heaviness in the chest from phlegm.

Marlene

yes he is on a bipap at night. so is the cough assist thatautomatically is part of the bipap - or is it another mechanism to buy?

it is another machine. You may be able to get it on loan from ALSA or MDA.
AL.

I would suggest when you get a cough assist machine to also get a suction machine. It will be very helpful to remove those secretions coughed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back