Reason
PALS
Country
CA
State
On
City
Toronto
I'm in Toronto, want to buy a cough assist machine.

Hi Mike....have you asked the ALS Society to loan you a cough assist machine? And/or ask the nurse coordinator at the ALS Clinic. They will usually loan you any equipment you might need. We had everything delivered to our home along with people to instruct us on how to use everything. Yasmin

Mike,
While you are at it, ask for a compression vest to break up the mucous in the lungs.

Jen

Thanks guys!

I've asked the nurse from the ALS clinic in Sunnybrook, and they found one @ $4,600, too expansive.

I'll check with the ALS sociaty, to see if they can loan one to me. It seems that a compression vest is better, let me try!

Mike,

Compression vest to break the crud up, cough assist to move it up, suction machine to move it out....
Together, Rog's colds last a week not 4 weeks...

Jen

Im from canada and i have been told(called the als clinic ,then the society) i cant get a cough assist..I wonder why things are different in CanadaIm looking for some relief for my husband..and getting very frustrated!

I checked with ALS Society, they told me they had not this machine, it seems that the only way is to buy by myself.

Mike. Bob used a lung volume recruiter before each meal. It helped so much to clear his lungs and we found it provided some relief from choking too. This is something our RT gave to us, courtesy of the ALS Society. Worked very well.
LUNG VOLUME RECRUITMENT WITH VOLUME AUGMENTATION BAG
WHY?
␣ Improve chest movement, stretching. ␣ Prevent and clear phlegm from collecting in your lungs. ␣ Prevent small areas of the lung from collapsing. ␣ Improve cough. ␣ Increase speaking volume.
WHEN?
␣ 3 to 5 maximum breaths equals one treatment, this is repeated four times per day. ␣ If phlegm is present, treatment may be performed frequently but not more often than
every 10 minutes to avoid hyperventilation. ␣ It is best to perform before meals and at bedtime. ␣ This technique can be combined with an assisted cough twice a day or more if
phlegm is present.
WHAT?
␣ It is a modified resuscitation bag with a one way valve in line used to deliver air into your lungs beyond what you can achieve on your own.
␣ Once modified, the bag is not to be used for resuscitation in an emergency when you are unable to breathe on your own.
␣ If used for resuscitation you may damage your lungs. The volume augmentation bag consists of:
␣ Resuscitator bag (hand ventilator) ␣ 50cc corrugated tube ␣ One way valve closest to the bag ␣ One way valve with the latex valve removed closest to the patient (looks like a cage) ␣ Mouthpiece, mask or trach adapter
␣ Nose clip
HOW?
1. Place nose clips on the nose and take a deep breath and hold it. 2. Place your lips tightly around the mouthpiece to prevent air from escaping. 3. As you or your assistant gently squeeze the bag, breathe in, making sure your lips are tight around the mouthpiece. Squeeze the bag 2 to 3 times or until your lungs are full. You may feel a stretch in your chest. 4. Once your lungs feel as full as possible, take the mouthpiece out of the mouth and gently exhale. 5. Repeat the above steps 3 to 5 times. 6. If you have secretions, instead of gently letting the air out, do one strong cough to clear any phlegm.
HELPFUL HINTS
␣ If having difficulty, review your timing while squeezing the bag and accepting the air into your lungs, also check for possible leaks around the mouthpiece, mask or trach adaptor.
␣ If air continues to escape you may need different adaptor. ␣ With practice the nose clips may not be necessary. ␣ Can be combined with an assisted cough when your lungs are fully inflated to
increase the strength of your cough.

I have a cough assist machine, but the settings would have to be set by a respiratory therapist or doctor because each persons needs are different. I also hae a suction machine for sale If you are interested contact me.

Hi Rose,

Please let meknowthe modelnumber and how much do you want for the cough assist, thank you.

Mike

It is a respironics CA-3000 Serial number is 016606

Hi Rosey,

May I know how much you want for it? thx.

Also, is it auto or manua?l

Hi Mike, if you are still in need I have an Emerson Cough Assist CA-3000 for sale. It is manual or automatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back