Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Tucson
the hospice nurse arrived just after my daily vibrating vest treatment followed by cough assist. She was amazed at how clear my lungs sounded. We are able to remove lots of mucous after the treatment and I strongly believe it is buying more quality time.

it took time in the beginning with lots of experimenting but learning to use cough assist is well worth it. We have also learned how to use it to clear my clogged nose and sinus. It is a godsend for this. Using cough assist twice daily has really helped me,

you may want to look into vest treatment with your doctor.

I also use the vest and cough assist regularly. I use the cough assist when I wake up in the morning. Before lunch I use the vest and the nebulizer simultaneously followed by the cough assist.

My wife came up with a great idea. We put all the machines on a rolling cart. We roll out the cart to use them instead of moving each one to a table every time we need it. Then we roll the cart back out of the way when done.

Matt

Would love to hear how you are using the cough assist to clear your nose and sinus. I am trying to help out a PALS/CALS living near me.

Excuse me for being dense but how do you use a cough assist to clear out sinuses and nose?

it is something we discovered by accident and I'm not sure it is recommended but here's what we do.
put the mask on real low so it is barely on your nose, nostrils are squeezed some. Go ahead an inhale big breath thru mouth. On exhale close mouth slightly and let it exit thru mostly nose, the result is what has been called snot rocket!

works better than anything I've tried, can't blow my nose at all unassisted. Proceed at your own risk!

You rock darlin!

That's great AZ! Wish I had discovered that technique when I was taking care of my husband. The only thing I found that " kind of " worked was a lot of saline spray up the nose but that isn't ideal if there's a swallow problem. I think you've joined the McGuyver Club!

Starting to incorporate vest,cough assit,into daily routine.
Thx azgirl for the tip.
Yes you snot rock it!
Love ya
Chally

Snot Rocket--I LOVE it!!! You are a wonder!!!

Becky

forgot to say to use saline liberally before and lots of suction during.

hope it helps, you may have to practice to find best mask position.

love, Snot Rocket

guess my true personality is starting to show!

Kay, Thanks for the great advice. You rock! Snot and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back