Not open for further replies.

getstevewell

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
04/2021
Country
US
My husband has bulbar onset als and just got a cough assist machine. How should this feel to him? He doesn't get what its supposed to do. The therapist didn't offer much except how to use. Any feedback would be helpful. Should he feel a big difference using?

Not necessarily. For some PALS, it is helpful to bring up mucus and saliva that can no longer be coughed up. For some, their own muscles may still be able to do that adequately when they first get the machine, so it's of more help later, or they've compensated by making coughs shallower and the machine could actually cause irritation or feeling worse. He does not need to use it if he does not feel it helps. If/when that changes, that will become clear.

I have bulbar onset ALS since 11/01/19. I have reached the point where I cough uncontrollably in an attempt to clear my throat and trigger a reflex in my wind pipe that stops me from breathing for one or two minutes. Definitely not desirable! The cough machine doesn't appear to do anything but it makes all the difference in my coughing. It stops it for about an hour. Then I have to use the cough assist again. Fortunately for me, I sleep on my side or stomach so I don't cough when I sleep. I love it and it is solving a problem for me. Have the person that sold it to you come back and show you how to use it.

Thanks for the thread. I was issued a cough assist 6 months ago, paying rent, so thot I should be using it, tho never felt the need. Was planning to ask at next clinic (online). Appears to be standard issue for bulbar, tho we're all different.

I have a cough assist machine and use it daily.

When I received it, I assumed it would help me cough. I was surprised to find out that it does not.

What it does do is to loosen up an amazing amount of junk in my lungs and help me bring that up over a few-hour period after I have used the machine.

It makes a huge positive difference, but that difference is not fully realized until an hour or more after I have used the machine.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back