03/2015
Country
US
State
mi
City
Novi
Greetings friends,

Who in the audience has a cough assist machine that has been prescribed for them? Can you tell me why its been prescribed for you and what the benefit is to you for using it?

A UoM respiratory therapist came out and preformed a PVT. I had a cough assist prescribed because my inhale (MIF) was low. Everything else was "normal". I don't have non-productive coughing - I don't have any cough. If anything, this machine is increasing the sensation that I have something stuck in the back of my throat that I can't clear.

Ok, so now I'm using it 2x day as prescribed. Not a pleasant task, but something I could get used to if I understood the why's of it. I did try to get these answers from the RT that prescribed it (or recommended to the doc, who prescribed it), and I'm not getting any response.

So, throwing the question out to the community for your knowledge and experience!

Deb

Deb, noooo! I so hate progression!
No clue, don't even know what one looks like, but I'm so sad you need one!
I'm sure you will find the answer here. Hopefully you'll get used to it quickly.
God bless, Janelle x

I have a cough assist. Oddly enough it was prescribed to assist with coughing! My FVC has dropped to where it's difficult to clear mucus. It is to be used as needed.

I'd definitely ask what it's supposed to be doing.

Our cough assist is set up with 2 programs. One program is simply a really big breath. It expands the lungs and when steve uses this setting his sat levels improve 3-4 pts. The other setting I volves a deep breath which expands your lungs followed by a forceful exhale. If you have crud in your airway, it will come out if it isn't too thick. Steve uses the machine as needed but also when he has a coughing fit. It helps calm things down and use less energy doing it.

Deb,
CA is good for some people, as in Steph/Steve's report. If you don't have mucus issues and it's not helping you, STOP unless/until you need it. Your muscles don't need extra stress if it's not producing a benefit. Perfect example of treating numbers instead of a patient. Sorry for that.

I also was sent a cough assist. It was sitting of into the corner until I got a terrible cough, and now I'm grateful I have it! I can still produce a cough, but the cramps in my ribs and jaw were enough to send me through the roof! The cough assist really has helped me save some energy!

Thanks for your replies!

Because I don't have a problem with phlegm, mucus, or crud, the only benefit I see in using it now is if it would improve my inhale functioning. (Can exercising those muscles make them stronger?) I do experience shortness of breath, but only when I try to speak more then a few sentences at a time.

So I find your comment dead center, lgelb. The only question I still have is - How do I tell if its helping me or not?

Deb

Deb, we're not there yet, but if I had an RT who wouldn't tell me why something was prescribed, I'd be looking for another RT. Laurie, Lgelb, is really smart on this stuff--we're so fortuante that she sticks around to help us!

In this case, if it were helping you, Deb, you'd know. And no, exercising those muscles won't make them -- or any others -- stronger. Stretching and doing what you can makes everything move/work more smoothly and feel better, which can keep everything together longer. But getting "stronger" to last "longer" aka exercise for the sake of exercise-- no.

Occasional deep, slow breaths as you tolerate them, yes, CA for exercise, no, there's only a downside for you right now. Put another way, the CA wouldn't exist except for people needing to clean out crud. Hold onto it against the day you need it to do that.

Best,
Laurie

Laurie,

I just got off the phone with the RT, and the benefits that they came up with is that using the CA now will help me to acclimate to the machine for when I do need it. It also can be used to assist me now for those times when I feel short of breath when used with positive pressure only. They don't seem to feel there is a downside.

I certainly appreciate your input!

Deb

Deb,
I'll respectfully disagree w/ that, but glad you raised the question for your own peace of mind. I would read up on the equipment as well.

Best,
Laurie

Laurie, please comment on the document I received from the RT, listing the benefits of a CA.

Cough Assist Indications & Benefits

• The goal of the Inspiratory Pressure is to expand the lungs, which can correct the closing of the air sacs (alveoli). This may be utilized without the expiratory pressure when feeling short of breath.

• The expiratory pressure, when used in conjunction with the inspiratory pressure, creates turbulence and helps to move retained secretions upward. This can also help induce a normal cough to help expel secretions.

• Regular use of the Cough Assist provides normal hyperinflation, which has been shown to combat loss of chest wall compliance, or more simply, flexibility of the chest wall.

• Using the Cough Assist regularly helps the user adjust to the device, which is very beneficial when secretions do become a problem.

• Pressure and time settings will vary with each patient, based on effectiveness and tolerance. Adjusting the settings to make the Cough Assist effective is the key to good therapy.

• Neuromuscular disease, or other conditions, that reduce lung capacity or lung tidal volume and an inability to “sigh,” may result in the development of atelectasis (closing of lung air sacs) and pneumonia. A sigh is a larger than normal breath of air, which stretches the air sacs in the lung. This “stretching” in turn helps to keep the sacs open or to re-open them.

This sheet tells me that everyone with a NMD should have a CA.
Deb

Cough Assist Indications & Benefits

Providing indications without contraindications, and benefits without risks, is irresponsible at best. If the mfr distributed this, there would be a warning letter on its desk as soon as the FDA saw it.

The goal of the Inspiratory Pressure is to expand the lungs, which can correct the closing of the air sacs (alveoli). This may be utilized without the expiratory pressure when feeling short of breath.

Expanding the lungs doesn't "correct the closing of the air sacs" any more than blowing up a balloon corrects damaged rubber. It's almost a non sequitur -- you can't "correct" closing. You can blow in a lot of air that holds them open for longer (for the duration of the breath) but by definition that risks damaging them. Of course, big breaths in without big breaths out retains CO2, which has its own downside and could exacerbate shortness of breath. This isn't a risk-free concept.

As for needing more air, any BiPAP can be adjusted in a couple of seconds to give you more, with a lot more precision, control and thus safety, over a longer period of time than breath by breath. We did this frequently for my husband when he had retained secretions. It helped him get strong enough to get them up or swallow them more completely.

• The expiratory pressure, when used in conjunction with the inspiratory pressure, creates turbulence and helps to move retained secretions upward. This can also help induce a normal cough to help expel secretions.

It simulates a normal cough, but it's not the real thing, as I think all PALS can testify.

• Regular use of the Cough Assist provides normal hyperinflation, which has been shown to combat loss of chest wall compliance, or more simply, flexibility of the chest wall.

In some disease states where the nerves supplying the chest wall are normal but the muscles weak (think muscular dystrophy), this could be true. Not in MND, to the extent that those muscles can't be strengthened. And again, this isn't "normal" hyperinflation. The balloon isn't blowing itself up.

• Using the Cough Assist regularly helps the user adjust to the device, which is very beneficial when secretions do become a problem.

No controlled trials to support this assumption in MND. Just as likely that pressing the dying nerves into action when they aren't needed to work so hard just uses them up faster, and that overstretched muscles [working to bring in more air volume that the pt needs at that moment] lose elasticity faster. Remember how you feel as a PALS when you overdo? CA machine labeling includes a warning, for example, that starting with IPAP greater than the current BiPAP setting (a level likely necessary to affect secretions) can pull muscles so they recommend titrating up if this happens. Do you engage in any other therapy that might pull a muscle?

Also note that diaphragm pacing, which also acts on atrophied muscles, has recently been called into question for PALS. And before you mention BiPAP, the whole point of BiPAP is to support the ideal breath stimulus/duration/size for the pt's lung condition, not to increase it past that point, which is why I am horrified to hear of BiPAPs set too high.

But with CA, to get secretions up, you have to use a breath that is bigger than a natural breath. Since you can't do this 24/7, many of us have found the key to avoiding retained secretions is thinning them out preventively. [It would be nice for this flyer to mention this concept, as a way to minimize the CA pressure necessary and thus safety.]

• Pressure and time settings will vary with each patient, based on effectiveness and tolerance. Adjusting the settings to make the Cough Assist effective is the key to good therapy.

Duh. Settings are also key to safety, which is getting short shrift throughout this communiqué.

• Neuromuscular disease, or other conditions, that reduce lung capacity or lung tidal volume and an inability to “sigh,” may result in the development of atelectasis (closing of lung air sacs) and pneumonia. A sigh is a larger than normal breath of air, which stretches the air sacs in the lung. This “stretching” in turn helps to keep the sacs open or to re-open them.

See above. We don't know if "overstretching" in the name of greater IPAP is prolonging or degrading the ability of the sacs to open, or neither. The MND lung has reduced capacity because of reduced muscle function, not damage to the sacs such as in primary lung disease. While there is no question that clearing retained secretions enables larger breaths and alleviates choking in the short-term, that is the only clear "indication" for the CA. Moreover, a lot of PALS don't have a CA but manage secretions through other means.

This sheet tells me that everyone with a NMD should have a CA.
No. Read the list of contraindications and risks (that include various heart and lung issues). My husband fell into multiple categories of those, so I doubt he was the first and only to have any. We've had at least one member who reported better breathing after stopping CA use.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not anti-CA for someone who actually needs it. But I would consider it a "last line" (possibly in conjunction w/ the oscillation vest that it can complement) whereas this document presents it as a no-brainer and fails to present "fair balance" among benefits, risks, effectiveness and safety, that especially apply in MND.

Wow, I'm impressed, Laurie, and I want to be the first to thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and informative response. Hundreds of afflicted persons who search on Cough Assist in the future will benefit from your response also. You have inspired me to write back to the RT who sent me this information, paraphrase the points as you have addressed here, and see what kind of response I get.

Again, many thanks for your reply!

Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back