09/2011
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Podunk
Hello everyone!

Ok, while I have lots of questions, this one is my biggie.

Anyone else have the unusual ALS progression of cortical hemiparetic?

In the early days of seeing docs (I let things get pretty far before I saw a doctor), they all immediately said I had right hemiparesis... my right arm and right leg have symptoms (also the right of my jaw and neck and torso), mostly UMN. It wasn't until I saw the second opinion ALS doctor that I ever heard the term cortical hemiparetic. I've tried looking it up online and in some neurology textbooks, but I find just one tiny reference to it and the suggestion that it is rare and only happens in fALS. Well, I have a grandfather with CIDP, and my grandmother now claims that it was suggested he might (a really big might) have ALS and that CIDP can turn into ALS (have yet to find that written in any literature anywhere). Not sure what to think about that.

In any case, I would like to know if anyone else has this and how it went (or if you've even heard of it). I'm curious how this goes progressionwise, especially now that I've had bulbar symptoms for quite a few months, which seems totally out of line since my left leg can still kick like a mule (but it does have that dreaded Babinski sign).

Thanks! :grin:

Well, obviously I'm the only one and no one has heard of this. That sucks! Will close this thread then.

cortical hemiparetic

glupavomomiche,

I just now caught your post about this condition, and the thread has been closed, so, I wanted to still add a response for the public to read, rather than sending this as a message. as you never know who else is going to be searching for information on it later. BTW, I understand how you might be discouraged and closed the thread, but, it does take a while for members to get to all new posts.

Anyway, I just posted the following on another thread.

Upper Motor Neuronal Tracts

This contains a good explanation as far as the region of the brain affected by this. It should help you understand how you can now be having bulbar issues, even though your left leg is still strong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back