Not open for further replies.

WorriedSick81

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
I posted back in the summer as I was having some swallowing and muscle weakness Issues. The swallowing issues gradually went away but I had the muscle weakness Issues since and I think they have gotten worse as my arms shake quite a bit when doing things. My EMG back in September was normal. Since my weakness was basically symmetrical and proximal the emg was done on 8 muscles, upper and lower, on each limb. The neurologist who did the test said it was 100% normal and I didn't need any follow up or anything. I just went back because my arms felt like they were getting worse and my upper reflexes and strength were good. He did notice I was shaking and said it was an essential tremor. Not sure if it was due to a true essential tremor or from anxiety. Told me to come back in 6 months to see if it goes away or not. With ALS is it LMN issues that essentially causes the muscle weakness?

Previous thread here:

Your previous reported symptoms went away and you are currently reporting what sounds like a tremor. Both situations point away from ALS, as does a clean EMG and clinical assessment by a neurologist.

It might be time to really explore working on your health anxiety about ALS. Returning here periodically to seek reassurance is not as beneficial as really getting to the root of the anxiety you are struggling with.

Please take care.

Hi sorry you are still worried. Yes clinical weakness ( which apparently you do not have) is primarily a lower motor sign. There can be weakness in upper motor neuron disease ( PLS) but that is detected on clinical exam. You again had a normal clinical exam except for tremor. As I said before normal exam, normal emg and normal swallow study add up to no ALS. If you do have essential tremor it is treatable but even then stress management will help. Heed Fiona’s advice

Actually started on zoloft about 4 weeks ago while I wait for CBT therapy. I am trying. =).

Hello Everyone. Just wanted to let everyone know it was recommended that I follow up with a neuromuscular doctor and the appt is set but it's a 2 month wait. My labwork came back and my SED rate was more than double the upper reference range. I don't think anyone is concerned about ALS but I got a feeling they are thinking or need to rule out it may be some type of inflammatory myopathy with the waxing and waning and symmetrical proximal weakness. It's a long wait but I will keep everyone posted on the final outcome.

Let us know what the final result is. It is good you recognize they are looking for something else. Good luck

Hey everyone. About 6 weeks out from my appointment. I have a dumb question and wasn't sure if it was ever answered. Can you have MND and not have any twitching?

Yes. Twitching isn’t the important thing in mnd What is important as you have been repeatedly told is clinical exam ( yours was normal) emg ( yours was normal) and clinical weakness ( agsin you don’t have it your exam was normal). Please no more posting until you have results from your neurologist to report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back