Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NC
Hi everyone,

Im a 23 year old male living in N.C. my thumb thumb has been twitching non-stop for about the last 4-5 weeks in the thenar region. I’ve also noticed some slight discomfort in my shoulder and my right arm seems to feel weaker. I have read the initial thread regarding symptoms, but I’m still quite concerned and can’t get this off my mind. I’ve also seemed to notice atrophy in the region of my hand that is constantly twitching. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I’m debating on whether or not to go see the doctor soon. Thank you all for your time.

Attachments

• DADEE30C-E18B-41AB-995D-8C6431DEB006.jpeg
    DADEE30C-E18B-41AB-995D-8C6431DEB006.jpeg
    489.2 KB · Views: 525
Please reread this: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms!

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. Dents mean nothing. Your picture shows a normal beefy thenar muscle with a few meaningless dents. Shoulder “discomfort” and “feeling weak” are not ALS.

Please see a doctor about your concerns, but you don’t need to be here.

Please reread this: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms!

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. Dents mean nothing. Your picture shows a normal beefy thenar muscle with a few meaningless dents. Shoulder “discomfort” and “feeling weak” are not ALS.

Please see a doctor about your concerns, but you don’t need to be here.
Thank you for your response, I greatly appreciate it. I’ve just been driving myself crazy lately with these symptoms. I’ve read stories online of people who seemed to gradually notice their symptoms. And my concern has been around the twitching in one area for such and extended period of time. I frequently get twitches all over but they subside quickly. However this thumb twitching has been so persistent and that’s what has concerned me. And now with this feeling of weakness in my arm and shoulder on the same side of my body just has me more concerned.

If you are a golfer or do anything else involving repetitive motion, an injury related to that is the most likely issue. Assuming your doc sees nothing dire, you might consider seeing a PT with a sports focus.

But you are good to go in terms of ALS.

GolfGuy4,

Here is a diagnostic tool that will probably work for you. (It works for me)
Worry a lot more about the twitching in your hand.
Did it get worse? Do you see the connection?
Try a couple cups of coffee and worry about cancer, zombies, or whatever "might" happen.
I bet it gets worse.

Go golfing a look at the beautiful scenery. Help someone, and do something relaxing.
Did it reduce the twitching?
Do you see my point?

Hello again,

thank you all for the replies. Recently, the twitching in my thumb has become less frequent, but what is concerning me is that now my thumb (specifically the thenar region and into my palm) only seems to twitch when I try to exert force with it. For example if I try to twist off a lid using that hand my thumb will begin twitching and become more difficult to use in that moment. Should this be a cause for concern? I’m planning on visiting my primary care doctor sometime in December if this continues. Thank you.

Not a cause for concern.

Is there any reason in particular this should not be a cause for concern?

Twitching means nothing if not accompanied by clinical weakness that a doctor can detect on exam,

Honestly 23 years old with a twitch in your thumb and you think you are dying? Please get help but we have done all we can here. If you aren't going to see a doctor until next month, please don't continue asking people who are terminally ill to support you til then. All the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back