Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
UK
City
UK
Hi everyone, first of all I want to thank all of the amazing ALS people who help every single person on this forum even though they’re dealing with a lot of hard stuff.
I’m 27 year old female. I’m working as a banker and I’ve been doing pilates for 3 years. On december 2019 I noticed constant twitching at the bottom of my right foot. I tried to see the point that’s been twitching but I couldn’t. That twitching feeling didn’t go away during my pilates lessons.

So I got anxious and start to search online. I thought that I injured muscle or something like that. What came up from the internet was ALS. As you can imagine I got really scared. I started having twitches everywhere. I went to a neurologist. The neuro did a real quick examination (very limited strength test) and told me everything looks fine and asked for a blood test. According to the blood test everything was fine but my CK-kreatin level was 206 (the normal is 180). She said that CK maybe high due to the exercise I did.
Days passed and I still have that twitching at my right foot. It feels like my toe muscles are twitching from inside, like there is an insect inside. A vibrational feeling.

A week ago I noticed my right calf was twitching constantly. These twiches are very small pops. I’ve been watching ALS faciculations on youtube and trying to differ my twitches from ALS ones. Yesterday I went to another neurologist and this time the dr did a very detailed examination. She said that everything is fine. I have to mention that I didn’t notice any muscle weekness or atrophy. Everyday I check if I can walk on my heels or on my toes. I check myself during pilates. I can jump. I check if I can still bottom up.

I read about the diagnosis stories and some people mentioned how their Emg’s were clean but they got diagnosed. And some people mentioned that they were able to run while they got diagnosed. I read CK levels of Als patients maybe slightly above the normal levels. I’m about to lose my mind. I don’t want to take your time with my stupid concerns but I have a few questions : 1-) Should I get an EMG test? 2-) Can ALS start from a twitchy/fibrational thing from your foot? 3-) Does fasciculations start right before muscle weekness?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry you have gone into such a panic for no reason at all, you are scaring yourself when doctors have told you clearly you are fine. Why in the world would we say different when we can't examine you?
You really need to just go back and ask your doctor for help.
Twitching means absolutely nothing, not a single thing.
Please read this through twice, when go back and see your doctor and explain how anxious you are and need to find the cause.

The hallmark of ALS is muscle function failure. If you can still do everything you could do previously, you’re ok. But testing yourself constantly is counter-productive, and you’ll end up worrying needlessly about every little thing. Same thing with youtube videos. Don’t go there!

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure. Up to 70% of people twitch.

I don’t see anything in your post to worry about except your mental health.

As Karen says, there is nothing we'll see to worry about in re ALS. Most often periods of twitching/small pops relate to sleep, stress, nutrition and hydration. Sometimes when specific muscles get amped up, a few drops of magnesium lotion and/or therapeutic massage can help.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for your messages. I’m wishing you all the best.

Hi everyone. I posted on this forum like 2 weeks ago : “Constant foot&calf twitching”
I have some new symptoms and I need to ask a few questions. Three months ago I noticed a single point twitching under my right foot constantly. This twitching later on spread to my whole body. I visited two neurologists and they did observe my strength with clinical examination and told me everything is fine. They didn’t suggest an Emg.

Two days ago I started having swallowing issues, like something is stuck on my throat. I can eat and drink normally. I have back pain. I still have foot twitching under my right foot. I can see it. I feel it like a tingling feeling when I’m standing on my foot. Plus, when I move my toes to myself my second and third toe starts shaking uncontrollably. It’s like the muscle connected to them is damaged. When the foot is at rest there is no twitching at my toes. I sometimes have twitches at my right ankle. Still have some few twitching at my calf too. I can walk on my toes and my heels. I feel no weakness during my daily activies.

A few days ago I saw the post of KimT. It was about how his ALS symptoms started from the twitching at the bottom of the foot. I find our symptoms similar. Would the problem at my foot be related to Als even if I don’t have clinical weakness?

I know it’s very selfish of us that we keep writing here asking for your opinions while you dealing with plenty of problems. I’m so sorry for doing that. I’m just very angry to myself that I didn’t get an Emg and I’m afraid of the doctors missing something. Can’t go to an hospital due to the corona crisis. Right now I’m living with my parents and they are both 70. Thank you for sharing your valuable time for me.

Mod note: threads merged. Please keep posts in one thread.

Your symptoms do not suggest ALS. You have not described failure which would be the hallmark of ALS. Twitching means absolutely nothing. Please reread this entire thread including the “read before posting” link provided to you above. Your doctors aren’t missing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back