Not open for further replies.

katielo

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello, and thank you for reading my post. I have constant twitching (fasciculation) in my right thigh just above the knee. It is in one place but it pretty much never stops unless my knee is bent - like when sitting in a chair. If my legs are straight it is constant. I can't remember exactly when it started because I wasn't worried at first just annoyed. But it has been just over 2 weeks as best I can remember.

My primary care told me I need to make an appointment with a neurologist. She didn't mention what she thought it was, but when i started googling last night, ALS kept coming up. Much information said it was not normal for a twitch to last over 2 weeks.
I have been crying all day as I read more and more. I'll make the appointment on Monday but do I have to literally just wait for more symptoms to come up? I'm terrified.

Twitching by itself means nothing. Almost everybody twitches at some point. Benign fasciculation syndrome ( bfs) is quite common and often has a hot spot ( focused area of twitching). I would add , even though just twitching shouldn’t make you worry about ALS ( bad Mr Google) I have never heard of thigh onset of ALS. If you start thinking you are waiting for more symptoms it will make you crazy and you will start thinking you have them.

Thank you Nikki for your response. However it's not just a twitch.. it is a constant twitch. It has been ongoing for over 2 weeks.. even my PCP agrees that is not normal nor an everyday twitch.

What I'm reading is that if the twitching is in one place it is more likely ALS. As opposed to twitching in many places. I know I should not google but it is too late now. Almost every single article suggested there is a problem if the twitches last more than 2 weeks which is the case with me.

My nutrition is definitely bad, I drink alcohol (almost every night but not to excess), and I have a lot of stress. But from what I've read, those factors tend to result in multiple twitches and not necessarily constant. The twitch only stops when my knee is bent.

Last edited:
Stress and alcohol can be contributing factors to twitching, whether it is localised or all over. The biggest contributing factor to ALS, is loss of function, not twitching. If you haven't even made an appointment yet with a neuro, asking questions here is fruitless. What you are describing is not indicative of ALS. Again, loss of function is. Please come back to report after you've met with a neuro.

Good luck to you.

If you read this forum, you'll see probably thousands [I haven't counted] of people that have shown up with "constant twitching" and don't have ALS. Stop googling and see someone who can reassure you. Stretching, hydrating and eating more healthy meanwhile may well help.

Thank you for your responses. I am working on the neurologist, I will call first thing Monday morning but I am told it could be well over a month before I get an appointment (by my referring physician). I didn't realize how serious the twitching was until I started googling Friday evening and it was too late to get in touch with the neurologist.

My concern is that it isn't both my legs or in multiple places as I'm reading ALS is unilateral - which is what I have - just one leg. I can't wrap my head around stress and not even hydration would cause a constant muscle spasms for weeks.

Additionally, it sounds like there is no definitive test for ALS, so if I am in the beginning stages it probably wouldn't be diagnosed at this point. so I just have to wait for more symptoms to develop. As an anxious person who worries about everything, this is very tough for me.

([B]lgelb[/B]- your kitty is adorable, I love a tuxedo cat)

ALS onset is most often unilateral but not as leg twitching. My cat is a calico, thank you (her orange is not visible in the avatar), but have had tuxies in the past, so I agree with you.

Twitching can start up on its own without stress -- many people have benign fasciculation syndrome -- it's just something to think about. The fact that bending your knee ameliorates it further argues against a neurologic disorder. As for being too early to detect, by the time any ALS symptoms would develop, an EMG would reveal motor neuron dysfunction.

All in all, it's best to remember the perils of using Google as a medical guide, no disrespect.

She is super cute.. I love the expression in her eyes. Absolutely no offence taken in regards to warning me about my Google activity. I know it is creating so much stress for me. I read these articles with tears streaming down my face because I am convinced of the worst outcome.

I was wondering about the bending of the knee, if that just creates a scenario where the nerve can't fire or why it stops the twitching/spasms. When I sit on the couch now I have one leg outstretched and the twitch leg bent and it stops them. When I go to sleep at night I have to have that leg bent.

Thank you for sharing your info with me, it helps. I will try to stop researching online.

No, bending your knee doesn't prevent the nerve from firing. Even when someone "pinches a nerve" in their spine, the nerve is not dead, it's damaged. What you report suggests that the muscle fiber itself is jittery, which can be for many reasons, from diet to bad seated position to an unappreciated injury. It's like your leg has a headache that your muscles are expressing.

Often, massage is helpful if no disease can be found -- a very good thing. You can also try a heating pad and/or a few drops of magnesium lotion (not sure if sold in drug stores, but certainly available online) rubbed into the leg. Basically you are looking to "reboot" the muscle. It can take a few tries but usually it responds. If not, the neurologist might order an imaging study of your spine to see if damage there is causing the problem, but even so, physical therapy would likely be the first approach. There is no reason at all to think of ALS.

Thank you so much lgelb those are great suggestions. Today I have a new symptom which I believe is less likely with ALS. Tingling in my right foot/toes and hand. Like pins and needles. I don't believe ALS causes that particular symptom but I've read conflicting info on that (I know I need to stop). I will make the appointment with the neurologist tomorrow so we can start figuring out what it is going on. I know I have to take better care of myself.

Thank you for patiently talking me through this, I really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back