Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
FL
City
Miami
Hi Everyone -

I’m a 30yr old male (USA) and have relatively had good health my entire life. About 8 months ago I was suffering some symptoms that were thought to be Lyme/MS related and after testing, I was negative for both and given a bill of clean health from my Neurologist.

Fast forward to two months ago and for the first time in my life, I noticed some twitching in my toes. That continued (didn’t really concern me) but starting a month ago, I’ve had pretty constant small twitching in my calves.

When I wake up I can’t really tell it’s there, but after I start moving around I can pretty much feel the twitches throughout the day. They are very small and constant, and happen on the back sides of each calf on my left and right leg.

I randomly get other twitches in my feet, knee area, forearms, etc...but those are random and not constant.

I visited my Neurologist and he doesn’t seem to see any signs of weakness (which is good). I used to workout a lot (haven’t in the last year) so I’m definitely not as strong as I used to be, but I don’t notice any signs of weakness. I can run up and down stairs pretty easily, jump up stairs with both feet, walk on my heels, walk on my toes and any other at home tests I can possible do.

He said since I’ve never experienced twitching in the past (but have new symptoms) he would do an EMG. I think they are only going to do the EMG on one side of my body though (not sure if that matters?)

I’ve read a few posts and I see that once ALS twitching starts, other stuff has “probably” taken effect, so the EMG will almost always come back positive (dirty). Is that true?

Basically I want to know that if this EMG comes back negative (clean), can I stop worrying about these twitches and any association with ALS?

Thanks

Yes.

Absent any clinical weakness, as you report, this is exceedingly unlikely to be "ALS twitching," or really of any concern.

You're in a hot place. Keep hydrated and eat right, and I'll bet your "symptoms" improve.

Best,
Laurie

Concur with Laurie.

Thanks for your feedback. I look forward to getting my EMG.

Another quick question in regards to foot drop...I stub my toes ALL THE TIME! It doesn’t catch stuff on the ground (below my foot) but I hit the bottom legs of my couch, tables, and barstools all the time.

What I mean is if I’m in an empty space I don’t catch my toe on anything on the ground...but it’s like I’m oblivious to the corners of certain objects and I destroy my pinky toes (each foot) once or twice a month because they’re always catching on the sides of objects haha. Is that considered foot drop or being an idiot?

I also wanted to ask about ALS Twitching...how intense is it?

I currently have it in BOTH calves...and this all happened within two months. Mine are pretty constant but feel pretty small and aren’t intense...but would it be strange to get it in both legs? Or would it normally only take place in one?

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless. Those of us with ALS eventually learn to ignore our twitching, otherwise we’d go nuts. Some people with ALS twitch hardly at all. Mine are fairly minimal. Others twitch a lot.

So don’t focus on the twitching. What’s more important in your case is that your neurologist didn’t detect weakness.

Note, thread closed, multi id

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back