Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Oklahoma
City
Oklahoma City
Hello,

First of all thank you for taking your time to open this thread. I am indebted to all of you and I wish for your health !

Before three months, I noticed some small twitching on my foot & other parts of body. They were indeed small and didn't vibrate that much such that it becomes very noticeable. I ignored. But since last month, they have started noticeably high. I can feel them. It started with my start leg, and then now it happens from top to bottom including face, under eyes, palm, biceps, legs, etc. Everywhere. The frequency is generally about 20-30 per hour & they go on whole day.

I met a GP, they said it was due to Anxiety or Stress. I didn't had any Anxiety in the past which was the trigger point of these. But she gave me pills, which made no difference whatsoever. She told me do Blood Tests like Vitamin B12, CMP, CBC, ANA, TSH, Typhoid, Lyme, CRP, West Nile etc. All came out normal except Vitamin D which was 13.5 in my case (normal: 32-100).

Since those 2 months, my weight has been the same 145 lbs, No less & No more. I began to feel that my hands were swollen, she was a bit concerned so she ordered MRI of C-Spine, Brain & Spine to see any pinched nerve. But that also was Normal.

At the end she referred me to a Neurologist for a EMG test, But I had to leave that town as I was there for a 1 month business visit. Now, In my town I have waiting for 2-ish month for Neuro visit.

The things currently stands as Twitching happens all day, noticeable. My left pinky finger is failing to move from side to side (Wartenberg Sign). Note that, I haven't done any stretches or something. I feel a bit difficulty to close my palms and open it. My fingers get easily stiff now. When I open my fist to fingers they shake a bit.

I am shocked to see that. Now, I am just concerned if this is something big? Is Nerve Conduction Study helpful or it's better to have EMG?

To be double sure I am not lagging in magnesium I did Mg, Na, Potassium Blood test and all were normal. So Twitching is for sure unrelated to Magnesium.

For background, I am 22 years old, M, 145 lbs.

Thank you in advanced for your help.

What happened with the low Vitamin D? Are you supplementing it? That could def cause twitching, etc. Were you tested for diseases that can cause this deficiency?

ALS, we're not going to see here --a wonderful thing.

Best,
Laurie

Hi @lgelb,

Thank you very much for taking out your precious time to read the post & responding it.

My GP placed me on 6,000 IU Vitamin D Tablet along with 100mg Magnesium, Zinc. I have started taking it since last 15 days. But Twitching shows no improvement. More importantly when the Twitching was very less and infrequent I had done Vitamin D test by GP just to make double sure.

I could have kept ignoring twitches as they might / might not have any reason. But I was shocked to notice suddenly I felt hard to close / open fist & shaking fingers when kept stationary in air. It is just like how hard it gets to use hands when you are exposed to very cold weather.

Vitamin levels often lag symptoms. Also, blood levels don't necessarily translate to available nutrient. Give it time. But also consider static stretching morning and night, Pilates, ballet, tai chi, massage, hot tub, etc.

Still no reason to think of ALS.

Thanks @lgelb, I will continue to think positive. I will keep posted if the weak hand symptoms persists or not for one week or so. My water intake is just fine, so dehydration should not be the cause of twitching itself. I have a mild work stress at times, but even during time with no stress there are twitching. As far as I read other posts, Twitching are in explainable things, which may or may not have a root cause. But it feels weird having twitching at random body parts since 3 months and now some weakness with hand. I hope it is Vitamin D deficiency responsible for all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back