Congratulations to all my new American friends!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryG

Extremely helpful member
Diagnosis
02/2008
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Hinton
I want to be the first Canuck to wish all of my new American friends on this forum a big congratulations on your new president! It can only get better from here. I'm looking forward to watching the inauguration ceremony tomorrow!

Barry

Thank you Barry, and guess what? Tomorrow is my birthday! I turned down a luncheon date to watch the inauguration.. I am looking forward to it. May God bless our new president and his family! God bless you, too Barry!

Irma

Barry,

Thanks for your well-wishes for the good old U.S.A.

I've been to Alberta, by the way (Ft. MacMurray). Lots of very big dump trucks up there!

Zaphoon

On behalf of the entire population of the US, thank you, Barry! It sure feels good ...

I wish I could share your excitement! I heard him say several times that he plans on tightening up the border and severing relations with us. I sincerely hope he has changed his mind because we have shared a good relationship over the years and it will hurt both countries if he proceeds with that plan.

I worry about the outcome. Watching all the news on the Inauguration, shows people ecstatic with delight and a true belief that Obama will change the future. What a load on that man's shoulders. It is almost like he is seen as a savior, and there is sort of a mass hysteria of joy occurring. Hate to sound the cynic, but I find it a bit scary. I really really like him, but I am scared for him.
Laurel

Joel, let's not "mis-underestimate" the man before he's even started. I think (or at least I hope) that a lot of what has been said about closing borders and reducing trade was in the heat of the election and that he knows how important we are to each other. After all, Obama's first foreign visit is to Canada, hopefully it's a good sign!

Zaphoon, the cat trucks in Ft. Mac are made in Obama's home state in Decatur, Illinois. You send us the trucks and we send you the oil.

I still don't trust him yet. Anyone who makes statements like he did needs to be watched to see what he actually does. He lacks integrity if he made comments in his campaign that he never planned on acting on. Time will tell! I am praying for the best!

Barry,

Seeing those big trucks roll around up there reminded me of the French and their failed attempt at digging the Panama Canal. After they gave up, the U.S. came in with steam shovels that dwarfed the french equipment. For a big job, you need big tools!

You guys certainly have big enough tools to extract the oil from the sand up there! Quite an impressive operation!

Laurel and Joel;
While I also have questions about Obama's plans and how the US will relate to the world and to Canada in particular, I have to be optomistic. I wouldn't even be on this forum if I didn't have faith that things were going to be better. Expectations are obviously very high and I hope that the new president and his administration can live up to them and can deal with the enormous challenges in a way that is good for all of us.

And Happy Birthday Irma, I hope you have many more good ones!

Show me a politician in any country that hasn't lied through their teeth to get elected and I'll show you? Not sure what I could show you. They all lie and connive. Some just do it better than others. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

AL.

Watching today's celebrations with interest in England. I hope the new Presidency heralds a bright new era for the USA and the world.

Thank you Barry! Yes indeed, I am having a good birthday. I got up early this morning, made my good ole' coffee (thank God for java), babied my Chihuahuas, and sat down in front of my tv. I'll be here all day, Lol! May God bless you Barry, oh yeah, and thanks for the thread!

Irma

I hope Americans have appreciated the security they have enjoyed for the last 7 years. I hope it will continue under the new president.

I mourn the death of journalism in our country. And regardless of how Barack governs, I'm bracing for the four-year-long media Obamagasm. :roll:

I am with you Irma. Made special breakfast, got the favorite cat, and am curled up on the couch for the duration. This is an amazing event and I wouldn't miss it.

Lydia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back