Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
OX
City
Banbury
Good Morning All, I am in a quandary about whether or not my symptoms are suggestive of ALS and would very much appreciate some opinions from those in the know. I appreciate you must get a lot of questions but really quite concerned, and a lot of website can be quite contradictory about onset.

To summarise over the past month I have experienced:

WIDESPREAD VISIBLE BODY TWITCHING.

POOLING OF SALIVA IN FRONT OF MOUTH WHILE SINGING (NEVER HAPPENED SINGING SAME SONGS PREVIOUSLY)

A SCRATCHY MILD SORE THROAT WHEN I HAVE TALKED A WHILE OR AFTER SINGING TO THE KIDS.

A PHLEGMY THROAT WHICH COMES AND GOES.

AND A WEIRD ONE, I KEEP SINGING SONGS OUT OF TUNE. THINGS IVE SUNG FOR YEARS JUST LOSE THE TUNE SLIGHTLY.

VOICE CRACKS OR LOSE MY VOICE WITH CERTAIN WORDS/NOTES MOMENTARILY.

SOMETIMES VOICE GOES QUITE DEEP SOUNDING (OR THIS IS HOW I PERCEIVE IT)

I AM 39 , OTHERWISE HEALTHY. NO ISSUES WITH SWALLOWING, BAR YESTERDAY I ALMOST CHOKED ON A CEREAL?!

Do these symptoms sound suspect? Also does a sore throat happen with bulbar onset?

Hope you are all ok with this post, just hoping to get a little insight from those more knowledgeable than me. I think those suffering and caring are so brave.

Best regards

Larry

Your symptoms are not suggestive of any ALS onset I've ever heard of. For your sore and scratchy throat, a cough lozenge could be helpful seeing as it's allergy season. Also, take a read over the sticky entitled "Important-Read before posting" to see a bit more of why certain symptoms don't suggest ALS.

Take care and good luck to you.

Last edited:
Thanks Bestfreinds14. I truly appreciate the response. That does reassure me. If anyone reading does think these are anything to be concerned with please do comment. One thing I have noticed a lot of people say the illness is very different for different people. So if this does ring any bells pls comment.

But, much much appreciated 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
go see your doctor since you are worried. It doesn’t sound like the bulbar symptoms of my family or other PALS I have known but an assessment by a clinician who can see and hear you is the best approach. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back